CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Brad Kay

Profile:
Foam Roller Drills

Hey all,

I was wondering, short of having a coach or peers to demonstrate foam rolling exercises for me, what some good resources are for learning what movements are standard / good to incorporate into a foam rolling regiment.

I have been researching a bit, trying to determine whether to buy a "The Grid" or a "Rumble Roller," or just grab some PVC pipe and a few lacrosse balls and go from there. However, I have had less luck coming across specifically what to do with these instruments, and while I'm sure I could just start trying things out, and follow the Mobility WOD, I tend to be a person who likes a little more systemized approach to things

In any case, if there are any good resources, even any books in particular that help lay these things out, I would much appreciate it!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Foam Roller Drills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Kay View Post
Hey all,

I was wondering, short of having a coach or peers to demonstrate foam rolling exercises for me, what some good resources are for learning what movements are standard / good to incorporate into a foam rolling regiment.

I have been researching a bit, trying to determine whether to buy a "The Grid" or a "Rumble Roller," or just grab some PVC pipe and a few lacrosse balls and go from there. However, I have had less luck coming across specifically what to do with these instruments, and while I'm sure I could just start trying things out, and follow the Mobility WOD, I tend to be a person who likes a little more systemized approach to things

In any case, if there are any good resources, even any books in particular that help lay these things out, I would much appreciate it!
foam roller drills??? You are seriously overthinking this man.
Step 1: Get on foam roller,
Step 2: transfer weight fully or mostly to foam roller...
Step 3: roll.

This can be done on virtually any muscle or joint area, repeat as needed.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Brad Kay

Profile:

Heh, I imagined as much. I'm just pretty used to having Starting Strength to tell me what to do for barbell lifts, Enter the Kettlebell for kettlebell lifts, Super Joints for joints and Relax into Stretch for stretching. I like having something that gives me all the drills and suggests methods of best employing them. I thought there might be similar literature for this field of techniques, as well.

The thought that I might have to devise something for myself is less than desirable for me. After all, how do I know I'm right? I'm no expert!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Mobilitywod.com has plenty of good stuff for lax balls and foam rollers. I recommend homemade ones--go to Home Depot and get a 10ft section of 4 or 5 inch diameter of black ABS pipe then cut it into 2ft pieces. Yoga mats are typically 2ft wide so you can wrap them with one of those or just use athletic tape. You can make five rollers for a total cost of about $20.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Specific stuff here

wfs
http://www.thesealquest.com/myorelease.htm

I have lots of links hidden in the depths of my computer for almost everything, haha
Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Brad Kay

Profile:

Thanks Eric and Steven for your thoughts. Kelly Starrett's MobilityWOD does seem like a good way to continually expand my knowledge of myofascial release techniques for use with foam rollers, and the link you shared, Steven, is the kind of thing I was looking for to help get me started.

I was also recommended this book http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-...2771152&sr=8-1 (WFS), and I suppose for <$15 I can't go too terribly wrong.