CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Anthony Bucci

Profile:
Hi guys, I am about 2 months into Crossfit and I love it. I have worked out with weights for about 17 years but never a ton of the olympic lifts and i am seeing how much practice I really need. My question is about the dumbbell and Kettlebell snatch. On the crossfit exercises, the dumbbell snatch looks like the weight moves straight up. Watching videos on the KB snatch, it looks like the weight is swinging, almost like a KB swing. Is the swing part of the exercise and it it actually more like a KB swing than a snatch.
Thanks for the help

Anthony
Old 11-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Jason C. Brown

Profile:
Hi Anthony,

There are several kettlebell Snatch variations. I personally do not like the Swing Snatch but prefer to Snatch straight up and down like a dumbbell Snatch.

I'll create a video this week and post it for you highlighting the differnt variations of kettlebell Snatches.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
Anthony Bucci

Profile:
Thanks Jason, that would be great. I really appreciate the help.

Anthony
Old 11-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Anthony

The Kettlebell snatch bares little resemblance to a dumbbell or olympic snatch. It gets it's name because it ends up overhead in one motion. Otherwise, it's basically a swing with a flip of the bell at the top. It's a great lift but it is not a real snatch.

If you learn how to snatch barbells and dumbbells you definitely will not be swinging them out in front of you. You are correct, they go straight up. You can choose to do your kettlebell lifting the same way, but KB purists will look at you funny. However, IMHO you are better off learning to do the true olympic version with whatever weight you choose. Olympic versions are much much harder to learn but the payoff is much much greater.

If you are going to go for your RKC, you should be prepared to swing the thing.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Jason C. Brown

Profile:
Agree, the Olympic is much more athletic(whatever that means.) What's funny is watching someone coming from a purely kettlebell backround try to snatch a DB for the first time.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Anthony Bucci

Profile:
Thanks guys, you both were a big help.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #7
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Jason is on point here,

The typical snatch used in KB work is the snatch of swing variation, it is a fantastic exercise for conditioning another variation is the hang snatch. The hang snatch is exactly the same as the snatch you would have seen demonstrated and yes this has more athletic value and also has a great strength endurance too.

Leon.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:08 AM   #8
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Hi Keith,

I am a kettlebell purist and wouldnt look at anybody funny for snatching this way, I incorporate it quite often more so than the regular snatch as I have better strength gains. I think there are a lot of KB guys that would look at people funny but if this is the case i'm not sure they fully understand the benfit.

Leon.