CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Ben Fanjoy

Profile:  
Hello,
I have been practing moves such as the tuck planche, L sit, and the handstand for a bit of time now. My tuck planche is solid (almost 30 seconds and improves every time i practice). My L sit(1 second but is improving) is pretty pathetic but only because I have practiced it like on 3 different workouts. And my handstand is going very fine now. (over 10 seconds and is improving very very fast). So i have a couple of questions about going to the next step.
My first question is about going from an L sit to a hand stand. My L sit and my handstand will be down well enough to do this soon but it is the handstand press that I have problems with.
I can't press up into a handstand:angry:! what are some ways to work on pressing up to a handstand?
My second question is about going from the tuck planche to the advanced tuck planche. After I have the tuck planche down for 40 seconds (i don't feel like waitng for 60 unless you guys change my mind)i think i will be strong enough to try the andvanced tuck. I tried it a little bit already and I think I just have to lean forward and straighten my back? It makes it a lot harder but I could hold it for like a few seconds, even after practicing everything else. So how should i make the transition and when should I make it?
Okay, Final question about a handstand. I want to be able to do freestamding handstand push ups! I sometimes practice them against a wall and could manage to go about halfway down and woefully press back up a few times:lol:. So how should i build up strength in the pressing movement? And i also want to learn how to walk on my hands, so should i just practice walking?

p.s. thanks for any responses and i am 13.5 years old and am just doing it to get stronger for sports and get weird strength along with looking good.:happy:
Old 06-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I'll take care of the press handstand and everyone else can help you with the rest.

The reason the press handstands is difficult for some is because they start bringing their legs up too quickly and fall short.

http://www.mspt47.com/gymnastics/images/press01.gif

Check that image out, as you can see she does not bring her feet up UNTIL her HIPS are aligned with the rest of her body. That is the key to the press and why having VERY GOOD flexibility is essential.

http://1-seniors-singles-mature-dating.com/Seniors%20Gov/seniors.gov/health/fitn ess/pepup_files/image025.jpg

That much flexibility will not work. You need to go LOWER than that... your upper body completly touching your lower body. In having that, you can maintain your "L hold" as you bring your hips up and aligned to the rest of the body and THEN bring your legs up to the handstands. I hope that helped :-)

Summary: Work on your pike (i.e "L") flexibility until your chest touchest your thighs and then work on bringing your hips up before your legs begin to move.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
Ben Fanjoy

Profile:  
Yeah mantaining the L hold is really hard so i just tuck my feet and i can go under i just need to learn to press. I was using this tutorial for help
http://www.beastskills.com/Handstand%20press.htm So when you press up you keep you legs tucked and then press the legs straight when you are in a good handstand. thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
I started where you were about a year and a half ago, just slightly older too. One thing you want to do to build yourself up to press handstands is work on handstand pushups. If you can't perform a handstand pushup then you'll not be able to perform a press handstand--- straddled, tucked, piked, or planche. You're on the right track right now with lowering partially and pressing back up. Over time you should build yourself up to doing handstand pushups with your head just touching the ground and eventually full range on parallettes, rings, or a stack of books. one thing to remember also is that your elbows do not flare out in the HSPU, but rather they tuck to your sides the closer to the bottom of the pushup you get. You know of beastskills.com so you can look at the articles there for visuals. also, for freestanding handstands and HSPU you have to remain extremely tight and rigid. To quote Brad Johnson, think of your body as an unbreakable board.

Work pushups from an elevation and/or with added resistance such as books in a bag etcetera. Also work on pseudo-planche pushups which is basically doing pushups with an extreme forward lean, so your hands are over your hips. That should help build the shoulder and chest strength required for this skill.

As mentioned before also, work on your flexibility in your lower body, especially your straddle, pike, and lower back flexibility. The trick to press handstands really is getting your hips over your shoulders and then just lifting your legs up. It's really all technique with the strength required for one to hold themselves up on their hands easily.

As for the planche, my tip is to learn to lean forward as much as possible while keeping your balance. This'll take some strength out of the planche and make it easier for you to hold the positions. As for making the transition just get yourself up into a tuck planche, tighten your butt, flex your lower back, look forward and lean forward at the same time. Eventually it just becomes second nature.

Working press handstands will get your closer to the straddle planche, and also prepare you for tuck planche pushups too.

finally, your l-seat will take some time to get, be it flexibility or strength problems. Just stretch and do [hanging] leg raises to get closer. also, remember to tighten your legs as your rise up. If your legs aren't tight the position becomes harder to hold.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
Ben Fanjoy

Profile:  
Okay I'm pretty flexible. But umm what is a pike? Is a pike when you just have straight legs against your chest?
I'll try the tips for the L sit and work on handstand push ups and psuedo push ups
Old 06-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
Ben Fanjoy

Profile:  
Okay so today i tried the L sit today and i tightened my legs so i held it for like 5 seconds but got cramps in my quads and tri's after doing like 3 sets.
I also held the handstand for over like 10 seconds a few times so my balance is greatly improving and i did some quick like 3 inch HSPUS
Old 06-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Just keep up with the L work and it gets easier. At first my quads cramped up but it goes away eventually.

Is your handstand against the wall or freestanding?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Kawika Bennett

Profile:
Brian i'm going to have to disagree with the notion of "if you can't do hspu you won't be able to press to handstand." unless we're talking about seperate issues.

that tutorial is not the correct way to press to handstand if you ask a gymnast. the arms should be straight and the movement is solely in the hips and back.

here is a better one
http://www.gymnasticsrevolution.com/...0L%20press.htm

to practice the handstand press, approach a wal then lean foward at the waist and take a straddle near a wall then lean your butt on the wall and practice rolling your hips and straddle up into the handstand. then lower in reverse manner and repeat. to increase difficulty once 15reps or so is easy, do it tucked, then eventually piked. it is an excellent condiotioning exercise and i beleieve it works the same muscles as louie simmons reverse hyper machines. making it excellent for improving the squat.

i suggest if you are not yet using parallettes or similar(pushup bar) to begin using as it is a lot harder doing a L to handstand press on the floor. also work on your back flexibility. the plough imho is good for this, take it slow.

you'll need to work on your overall L, and ab strength. do L hanging from a bar for time, use correct form, when form wanes stop. reverse crunches and reverse decline crunches may help depending on your weakness. the hip flexor itself may be too weak as well. weighted ab work may help but are not needed.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Kawika Bennett

Profile:
on a side note the tutorial section is very interesting and i plan on reading a few, like the chair handstand and the one arm chin ups.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
What tutorial section? I looked but didn't see one...