CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-14-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
Troy Archie

Profile:
This seems to be a familur topic here so here it goes.

I'm a little confused at the point where the bar meets the hips while snatching. I see on videos where it looks like the athlete has the bar resting on their pelvis and as they explode their hips, that explosion actualy pushes the bar and sends it on it's way. Now For me that doesn't feel that natural but it might be because I'm either using a wooden dowl or very light bar. Can someone clarify this with me?

My next question could go into the injury section but I think it would be better answered here. I'm having problems with my right knee. After I land and get into the overhead squat position my right foot wants to point out a lot more than my left foot. Sometimes my foot will be pointing at a 45 degree angle from my body. This in turn seems to spring on a reoccurring uncomfort in my knee. I don't want to say pain because it doesn't so much hurt as just "not feel right". I've had this uncomfort come and go for quite some time. Sometimes it'll happen after I run, other times it'll happen after I squat. Lately it'll come on just while I'm walking around. It's a pain on the outter part of my knee closer to the back. I'm not too sure what I'm hoping to hear from posting this and I know I should just go to the doctor but I thought I'd check around first.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Troy,

For your first question you may want to check out a good discussion here:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/2229.html.
They're discussing the clean, but I'm betting the same principles apply to the snatch.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 02-15-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Troy,

Is your knee in line with your feet. That is, are your kneecap and your toes pointing in the same direction?
I, at least, have a tendency to let my knees come in a little to acheive greater depth in the snatch and back squat. I am under the impression that doing this is not healthy for the knees (although I saw several Olympic lifters do this on a lifting tape of the '88 Seoul olympics).