CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-14-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
About a month ago I switched the way I do HSPUs. Before I would do a kind of 1/2 cartwheel move to get in position with my stomach towards the wall (I think Roger said that these more closely approximate the position for a free-standing HSPU). With the recent switch, I've tried kicking up to the wall with my back facing it.

In the latter position, things are tremendously more difficult for me. My max has dropped from around 12 to about 6. I was curious if anyone else has tried both positions and experienced the same difference in difficulty. Anybody know what would cause such a difference?

Thanks for any help,

Ryan
Old 07-14-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
Erik Hagman

Profile:  
Ryan,

I also recently switched so I now kick up to the wall with my back to it. I'm also finding HSPU's in this position much more difficult than with my stomach to the wall. I'm fairly new at this, but for me I think the increased difficulty is due to the fact that I'm forced to keep my hands closer to the wall and I can no longer "toe up the wall" as I get tired.

An added benefit I've found is that sometimes I can come off the wall completely for a few seconds during the movement (maybe a small step towards a freestanding HSPU). Most of the time I'll fall back to the wall when I lose my balance and can continue with the set.

Erik
Old 07-14-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

Ryan,

Done correctly there should be no difference in difficulty.

Without being able to see your position, my guess is that during your "stomach in" version, you are allowing some arch into your back and some pike in your shoulder girdle (letting your arms drift forward away from your ears) - this will make the exercise easier; turning it into a bodyweight version of an incline bench press.

During the "stomach out" version, it is much easier to keep the pike out of the shoulder girdle, which in turn makes for a much stricter military press motion.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com
http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/ar...&articleid=229
Old 07-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I concur. :-)

So, work both. If possible get a spot to just help you with the balance a little.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Christopher,

Those planche exercises are NASTY!! It is going to take me a long, long, long time before I am able to do a planche push-up.

Thanks for the great information!

Brad
Old 07-14-2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Michael Pearce

Profile:
No kidding on the planche. I can just now do 20 sec. on the tucked planche. And man what a workout it is for the abs especially with the L-sit.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:25 AM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Without being able to see your position, my guess is that during your "stomach in" version, you are allowing some arch into your back and some pike in your shoulder girdle (letting your arms drift forward away from your ears) - this will make the exercise easier; turning it into a bodyweight version of an incline bench press.

Went out to the garage and checked out my form on the stomach in version. Everything was as you described.

Thanks for the tips,

Ryan