CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
David Schneider

Profile:
About 3 Weeks in and Loving it...

Hello to all my new friends,

I started Crossfitting about 3 weeks ago and I am hooked to say the least.

About three years ago I weighed around 260# and wasn't happy about it. I started to go to the gym with my mother and switched up on the diet, quit smoking and quit drinking. Within a year I had made it down to around 185# but still flabby. I continued to lift weights regularly for the next couple of years and added some nice muscle bulk but not really what I wanted, I wasn't "lean and mean" like I had envisioned. Needless to say, the weights have helped tremendously and helped me to get to a nice 210# frame but with some definite extra body fat. This is when I decided I needed to abandon my old routine and kick up the intensity. I had admired crossfitters for a while and about a month ago decided to give it a shot. I dove right in and never looked back.

I can honestly say that over the last 3-4 weeks I have seen more physical and mental progress than with the last six months of just straight lifting. I am eating right about 80 to 90% of the time and doing Crossfit like my life depended on it. I say, if 3 - 4 weeks of this has got me to where I am at now, just wait for 3-4 months. I am so excited.

Over the last 2 years I have amassed quite a formidable home gym in my garage. I have tons of equipment, smith rack, benches, 2 - 300# tires, heavy medicine ball, Sledgehammer, kettlebell, heavy bags, large back yard for running relays, tire flipping and such, pullup and dip station, etc...

This summer my garage is open to all Crossfitters who find themselves in or around Lansing, MI. The garage isn't A/C'd, heated, or insulated so the winters are brutal and the summers are great for intense, sweaty, painful training.

All are welcome to suffer here...

I want to give all the respect in the world to everyone who does this miserable stuff. Always train hard and fight the good fight my friends...
I look forward to talking and training with all of you.

Thanks,
David

Viva-
Old 04-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Re: About 3 Weeks in and Loving it...

Welcome David. It sounds like through all your trials and tribulations you have seen the light. We have all come through some pretty diverse adversities which is our common background. Now that you are here, as you mentioned, you will definately find a lot of helpful info. Sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup in your home gym, with the exception of the Smith Machine,. Anyway, keep up the good work and enjoy the ride. We are all here to help each other, so ask questions and read through all the info on the main page.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
David Schneider

Profile:

Thanks for the reply Pete, it's much appreciated. Yeah, that Smith doesn't get much attention these days

You can sure bet that I am in it for the long haul and I will definitely keep in touch with everyone here with progress reports and such. I know I'm new but I'm here to help out anyone I can too.

-David
Old 04-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Greg Leimbach

Profile:

About the same for myself. This is good stuff. A friend of mine is a PE instructor at a Military Academy, and he indicated that it takes about 6 weeks for the physiological effects to really kick in. Welcome & good luck !
Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
David Schneider

Profile:

Thanks Greg, I can't wait!

-David
Old 04-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
JxCx

Profile:  

I wish you were closer. Im in monroe and wish i had some people to do crossfit with. The only people that workout on here are dead set on the typical bodybuilding routines.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
David Schneider

Profile:

Hey James,

I find myself saying that same thing. I see a few guys on here from grand rapids and other surrounding areas that I wish were just a little closer. As far as I know I am the only one in Lansing. I saw someone from East Lansing and Carl P. is in Dewitt.

I'm not sure exactly where Monroe is but if you ever find yourself around the Lansing area feel free to get a hold of me and stop by any time for some pain and suffering

-David
Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Doug Holland

Profile:

Welcome David and I love your story. You sound like a cool guy that thinks like me. I love your enthusiasm.

Keep up the great work. If I lived by you I am sure we would have some killer workouts. My wife just started CF and she is already addicted.

Make sure to start a log here on the forum so we can see your progress.

Doug
Old 04-18-2008, 05:53 AM   #9
David Schneider

Profile:

Thanks for the kind words, Doug. Congrats to your wife for getting into CF, that's great. You two keep it up and train hard.

Drop on by if you ever find yourself a bit north...

-David
Old 04-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Welcome, David!
Sounds like you're all set for equipment.
Best of success to you!