CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-30-2005, 03:51 AM   #1
Kenneth Ritchie

Profile:

Heh jim, read your thread on people stopping the WOD's after a couple of sessions. Im not too sure about people's attitude and mentality over there in Memphis but back here in Scotland I can answer the Q? of why that happens. I have seen this in other situations such as spinning (group cycle class) which is massive in the states and Europe but in Scotland.... Nope. This is a harsh statement but as far as I am concerened its the basic truth of the matter...... people are just damn LAZY... and dont like it when they take part in something that actually makes them workout and not just their mouths. The crossfit stuff.... well as we all know its pretty tough and even if you take it easy the person will probably still be thinking (crickey this is hard). I reckon Jim its just a matter of some of us want it bad enough and are willing to do something about it and then there are those who just talk and moan about it.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
I'm afraid you are probably right for the most part. For me, there are benefits other than just the increase in functional fitness that make crossfit very appealing

1) Variety. I had done the same boring stuff for so long that the randomized workouts really keep me looking forward to it. Of course, the fact that I have an attention span like a ferret on meth probably has something to do with that.

2) The "Christmas Morning" effect. As I stated in another post, my wife and I get up every morning that I'm not at the engine house, pour a cup of coffee, and go to the computer to see what today's torture will consist of. It's a weird mix of the excitement you had as a kid on Christmas morning and bracing for a stiff right cross from an opponent that routinely kicks your @$$.

3) The community. The people here have been great, very supportive, very helpful. I look forward to seeing what people have to say on the message board daily.

4) My wife. She and I are doing this together and that makes it a "family bonding experience" We have three kids (2 of which are now doing the brand x martial arts crossfit for kids) and when my wife and I work out it is kinda what we do "for us." I am all about family, so this is a big deal in my little world.

Well, I think the rest of the fitness world will catch up sooner or later.

Jim
Old 07-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Kenneth Ritchie

Profile:

Heh Jim

What can I say.... I really do like the way you look at this whole thing. Not everyone looks at the whole picture when doing something and well I think they are missing out on so much (in other words it isnt just all about the physical part). I think its excellent that your kids do the martial arts... as a practitioner in the arts myself I have found that it is great for kids to get into.... and NOT... for the fighting element. I once used to teach up to about 300 kids per week swimming and through this met a lot of parents....... it was amazing the difference in how the parents of those kids that did some form of exercise/martial art spoke about their kids and what they do compared to the others who didnt. That was as good as any census to prove that exercise/martial arts is a great way of enhancing oneself. Anyway keep up the good work.