CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
Baron Dorff

Profile:
Hi folks - been xfitting since August, so I've given my arms a fair amount of time to get used to the work load.

I've found that I get a significant amount of forearm pain on the thumb sides of my forearm when doing pullups with a palms away from me grip. Pain radiates from the inside of my elbow to about half way down the forearm.

It's better than when I first started, but still leaves me aching for a few days afterward, and leaves those muscles fairly weak feeling and painful to use.

I don't see that sort of pain when doing the pullups with palms toward me. I assume the pain is caused by some shortcoming in my flexibility or perhaps just in the way I'm built.

I'm curious if others have this problem, and what they've done to get past it. Suggestions, anyone?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Baron Dorff

Profile:
Forgot to mention it... I don't feel any discomfort while doing the exercise. It typically begins a few hours later, and maxes out the next day.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
It sounds like tendonitis (search golfer's elbow) which in this case was probably caused by all the pulling we do. Tendonitis can be difficult to cure, but I'd suggest switching almost exclusively to palms towards you pullups for awhile if that feels fine. Also, ice the area right after any pulling workouts.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
sounds to me like you are gripping with thumbs more in supinated (pullup) grip than in pronated (chins) grip. You say only pain on thumbsize of th forearm - is it your wrist flexors or extensors?

I can't do an unassisted pullup, so take this with a grain of salt, but you might try pullup/pronated grip with your thumbs off the bar (just hook the 4 fingers) and see if you can work without the DOMS/post-workout pain.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I agree it sounds like tendonitis. Rest and ibuprofen. Consider changing your grip on high reps if this is a reoccuring problem.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving this over to Injuries...
Old 12-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Baron Dorff

Profile:
Gosh Lynne... I was hoping it wasn't an injury, and just a technique problem. :happy:

Lisa - It's the flexors (I think... aren't extensors on the small finger side??
I'll try that suggestion to see if it makes a difference.

Following that, I may have to back off a bit and eat tylenol for a while.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Baron,
It was a judgement call, and unfortunately y'all are stuck with my judgement!

But, since I've had CrossFit induced elbow tendonitis for about a year and a half now, I figured it fell in the injury category. Here's hoping yours works out better than mine!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
David Birozy

Profile:
Been there too. I used a lot of ice, a lot of rest, and a lot of meds (naprosyn initially, but went to a Medrol dosepak to kill it). I'll do the trigger point work that Christian discusses on the message board.

Now that I'm better, I'll use a heat pad or Tiger Balm prework out to warm everything up, and ice it down after. I just started using the neoprene elbow wraps to keep it warm during the workout. I've been using them for two weeks so it's too early to tell if they are effective. I can only imagine that since I get beat up for using gloves that other CF's will balk at these too, but if they prevent the golfers elbow, I'll take the beating!

I have a friend who submerges his elbows in ice water (Home Depot type 5 gallon bucket) for 20 minutes (which really hurts until you go numb), and then in warm water (which really hurts) off and on during the day. He swears by it.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #10
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
There are specific elbow wraps for tennis/golfers elbow. They apply pressure over the origin of the tendon and slightly change the angle of the stress.

I started using one when my elbow flared up a while ago and it seems to have done the trick.

Something like this might work.

http://www.painreliever.com/protec_PT40.html