CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: Closing my affiliate. Like-new equipment for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Do it because you love to train, not to get rich imo. Yea maybe you can do it but it's like anything, if you do it for the money it will not be enjoyable.
On the other hand, if you do it all for love of training with no business sense at all, you're going to be in trouble eventually too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
Mike Doehla
Affiliate Mike Doehla is offline
 
Mike Doehla's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Newburgh  NY
Posts: 744
Re: Closing my affiliate. Like-new equipment for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
On the other hand, if you do it all for love of training with no business sense at all, you're going to be in trouble eventually too.
well yea lol. I figured that goes without saying.

I have to be careful with this. I'm going from hey yea come over two workout to no sorry got people at that time. Pay if you come lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #13
Saul Garcia
Member Saul Garcia is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles  CA
Posts: 27
Re: Closing my affiliate. Like-new equipment for sale

This thread has become really informative...

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:36 AM   #14
Steve Loeding
Affiliate Steve Loeding is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis  MN
Posts: 464
Re: Closing my affiliate. Like-new equipment for sale

Hi Chad

I'm Steve, the owner of Top Gun CrossFit in Mpls, MN... I'm a full time police officer, and I also coach 8-12 hours + paperwork stuff. You can do this... maybe your rent is too high for the number of clients.

My idea for you - move to a location with LOW rent and enough room for 6-8 people - start small - maybe it's a 7 am M-F and a 530 pm M-F - you get people in there, they are regulars and really, maybe this isn't a career - but you're helping people. Just don't spend money on stupid stuff - spend it on rent, payment processing, insurance, and affiliation fees. You may be in an area with not a lot of disposable income - so be careful about rates. If you have no real competition, then you can charge less. As long as you pay the bills, you are coming out even - if you want to make this a career, it sounds like the area is not going to work for you. Decide what you want... ( and you can wrok out for FREE )
__________________
Steve - Top Gun CrossFit - Mpls MN
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
Chad Hancock
Affiliate Chad Hancock is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Grant  AL
Posts: 13
Re: Closing my affiliate. Like-new equipment for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
Hi Chad

I'm Steve, the owner of Top Gun CrossFit in Mpls, MN... I'm a full time police officer, and I also coach 8-12 hours + paperwork stuff. You can do this... maybe your rent is too high for the number of clients.

My idea for you - move to a location with LOW rent and enough room for 6-8 people - start small - maybe it's a 7 am M-F and a 530 pm M-F - you get people in there, they are regulars and really, maybe this isn't a career - but you're helping people. Just don't spend money on stupid stuff - spend it on rent, payment processing, insurance, and affiliation fees. You may be in an area with not a lot of disposable income - so be careful about rates. If you have no real competition, then you can charge less. As long as you pay the bills, you are coming out even - if you want to make this a career, it sounds like the area is not going to work for you. Decide what you want... ( and you can wrok out for FREE )
Thanks for the advice Steve. I never envisioned this being a full-time career. I would have been ecstatic if that would have happened but I didn't think it would.

I actually followed your idea rather closely. Started off in a 1650 sq ft building with low rent. I had four classes a day, then three, then two when I was trying to reduce overhead by eliminating classes that were having 0 people show up for them. I didn't spend a lot on advertising...most of my money was spent trying to get good equipment from day 1 without over-extending myself.

If I had enough people to pay the bills so that I was coming out even I would have stayed open. I enjoyed the experience and it would have been enough to help others out while working out for free as you mentioned. Had I stayed open that probably would have happened in another 9 - 12 months, but I couldn't afford to continue losing the amount of money I was each month for another year. If I would have had a decent influx of new people at the beginning of the year things would be different.

Best of luck to you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Mike Doehla
Affiliate Mike Doehla is offline
 
Mike Doehla's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Newburgh  NY
Posts: 744
Re: Closing my affiliate. Like-new equipment for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hancock View Post
Thanks for the advice Steve. I never envisioned this being a full-time career. I would have been ecstatic if that would have happened but I didn't think it would.

I actually followed your idea rather closely. Started off in a 1650 sq ft building with low rent. I had four classes a day, then three, then two when I was trying to reduce overhead by eliminating classes that were having 0 people show up for them. I didn't spend a lot on advertising...most of my money was spent trying to get good equipment from day 1 without over-extending myself.

If I had enough people to pay the bills so that I was coming out even I would have stayed open. I enjoyed the experience and it would have been enough to help others out while working out for free as you mentioned. Had I stayed open that probably would have happened in another 9 - 12 months, but I couldn't afford to continue losing the amount of money I was each month for another year. If I would have had a decent influx of new people at the beginning of the year things would be different.

Best of luck to you.
Don't you think reducing your classes made people not want to join. I'm running out of a garage right now. I can't do morning because of roommates but I do m-f 6-7 7-8 and 8-9 if someone wants and sat sun 10-2. I could say only 6-7 but that would knock half my people off right there. Yea a lot of my time is going unfilled but you need to have those slots opened.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Affiliate Closing - Equipment For Sale Drew Kite Equipment 10 02-03-2014 12:47 PM
Equipment Sale Dylan Sawyer Pukie's Bucket 2 03-28-2012 11:52 AM
Equipment for sale move quick -GHD, Bumper plates and Cage for sale Todd Condell Equipment 5 04-14-2010 06:59 AM
Equipment for Sale Jojo Cariaso Equipment 1 03-02-2010 09:12 PM
Equipment for Sale Rick Gutierrez Equipment 0 04-16-2009 01:09 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:01 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.