CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Closing my affiliate. Like-new equipment for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Do it because you love to train, not to get rich imo. Yea maybe you can do it but it's like anything, if you do it for the money it will not be enjoyable.
On the other hand, if you do it all for love of training with no business sense at all, you're going to be in trouble eventually too.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
On the other hand, if you do it all for love of training with no business sense at all, you're going to be in trouble eventually too.
well yea lol. I figured that goes without saying.

I have to be careful with this. I'm going from hey yea come over two workout to no sorry got people at that time. Pay if you come lol
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #13
Saul Garcia

Profile:

This thread has become really informative...

Old 02-23-2014, 03:36 AM   #14
Steve Loeding

Profile:

Hi Chad

I'm Steve, the owner of Top Gun CrossFit in Mpls, MN... I'm a full time police officer, and I also coach 8-12 hours + paperwork stuff. You can do this... maybe your rent is too high for the number of clients.

My idea for you - move to a location with LOW rent and enough room for 6-8 people - start small - maybe it's a 7 am M-F and a 530 pm M-F - you get people in there, they are regulars and really, maybe this isn't a career - but you're helping people. Just don't spend money on stupid stuff - spend it on rent, payment processing, insurance, and affiliation fees. You may be in an area with not a lot of disposable income - so be careful about rates. If you have no real competition, then you can charge less. As long as you pay the bills, you are coming out even - if you want to make this a career, it sounds like the area is not going to work for you. Decide what you want... ( and you can wrok out for FREE )
Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
Chad Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
Hi Chad

I'm Steve, the owner of Top Gun CrossFit in Mpls, MN... I'm a full time police officer, and I also coach 8-12 hours + paperwork stuff. You can do this... maybe your rent is too high for the number of clients.

My idea for you - move to a location with LOW rent and enough room for 6-8 people - start small - maybe it's a 7 am M-F and a 530 pm M-F - you get people in there, they are regulars and really, maybe this isn't a career - but you're helping people. Just don't spend money on stupid stuff - spend it on rent, payment processing, insurance, and affiliation fees. You may be in an area with not a lot of disposable income - so be careful about rates. If you have no real competition, then you can charge less. As long as you pay the bills, you are coming out even - if you want to make this a career, it sounds like the area is not going to work for you. Decide what you want... ( and you can wrok out for FREE )
Thanks for the advice Steve. I never envisioned this being a full-time career. I would have been ecstatic if that would have happened but I didn't think it would.

I actually followed your idea rather closely. Started off in a 1650 sq ft building with low rent. I had four classes a day, then three, then two when I was trying to reduce overhead by eliminating classes that were having 0 people show up for them. I didn't spend a lot on advertising...most of my money was spent trying to get good equipment from day 1 without over-extending myself.

If I had enough people to pay the bills so that I was coming out even I would have stayed open. I enjoyed the experience and it would have been enough to help others out while working out for free as you mentioned. Had I stayed open that probably would have happened in another 9 - 12 months, but I couldn't afford to continue losing the amount of money I was each month for another year. If I would have had a decent influx of new people at the beginning of the year things would be different.

Best of luck to you.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hancock View Post
Thanks for the advice Steve. I never envisioned this being a full-time career. I would have been ecstatic if that would have happened but I didn't think it would.

I actually followed your idea rather closely. Started off in a 1650 sq ft building with low rent. I had four classes a day, then three, then two when I was trying to reduce overhead by eliminating classes that were having 0 people show up for them. I didn't spend a lot on advertising...most of my money was spent trying to get good equipment from day 1 without over-extending myself.

If I had enough people to pay the bills so that I was coming out even I would have stayed open. I enjoyed the experience and it would have been enough to help others out while working out for free as you mentioned. Had I stayed open that probably would have happened in another 9 - 12 months, but I couldn't afford to continue losing the amount of money I was each month for another year. If I would have had a decent influx of new people at the beginning of the year things would be different.

Best of luck to you.
Don't you think reducing your classes made people not want to join. I'm running out of a garage right now. I can't do morning because of roommates but I do m-f 6-7 7-8 and 8-9 if someone wants and sat sun 10-2. I could say only 6-7 but that would knock half my people off right there. Yea a lot of my time is going unfilled but you need to have those slots opened.