CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Rochella Larue

Profile:
Re: Crossfitting mom at whits end

Thank you all for the suggestions and articles. It is all very helpful. I have started her with some lighter weights on back squat and deadlift as well as some simple aerobic exercises and walking. I have jump ropes, a kettlebell, wallball and olympic weights so I will gradually introduce these to her. I know it will take a while but I am hoping she will see how this is a beneficial thing so she will stick to it as a life change. I am going to try to get her to keep a food journal if she will. I will post her progress. Thank you again for all the suggestions
Old 12-16-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Patrick Scott

Profile:

Definitely lots of great advice already posted. A few things I would add: Start out slow. Err on the side of going too easy on her, rather than going too hard. Stress to her that visible and noticable changes take time...lots of time. Tactfully let her know that it took a long time for her to get to her current state, and that it is unreasonable to expect a reversal of that state in a short amount of time. One thing that really motivated me was to see before/after pics of people that have changed their physiques. Lastly, make your WODs with her a habit. after 2-3 weeks, those habits become more difficult to break than to continue with them. and of course, remember that your time with her is also "quality" time. Eventually, she'll look forward to that time with you, especially your positive encouragement and of course, the positive changes in her life.

Last edited by Patrick Scott; 12-16-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

talking with a friend of mine recently went through this same thing with his kids, both about fitness but also other issues... he suggested that a system of goal based rewards was very effective. if accomplish a certain number of workouts a month maybe take her out and the two of you do something nice together for a treat. if a big goal is reached like a certain amount of weight loss or a certain physical accomplishment then perhaps a bigger reward. also after he got his kids into it he started speaking in terms of "burpees" to help them make food choices. if they wanted some kind of junk food he would say "that piece of cake is equal to 'x' number of burpees" based on burpees it would take to burn off those calories. it was very effective in getting the kids to make wise food choices. just some ideas.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Ha I love that burpee idea, I'll probably start doing that for myself now Along the same lines as what Patrick said, it might also be a good idea to take body measurements since seeing her arms and legs decrease in size over the next few months will be a great motivator.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochella Larue View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions and articles. It is all very helpful. I have started her with some lighter weights on back squat and deadlift as well as some simple aerobic exercises and walking. I have jump ropes, a kettlebell, wallball and olympic weights so I will gradually introduce these to her. I know it will take a while but I am hoping she will see how this is a beneficial thing so she will stick to it as a life change. I am going to try to get her to keep a food journal if she will. I will post her progress. Thank you again for all the suggestions
I think this is great. No criticisms from me on not pushing her earlier... you did the best possible thing by leading by example and not being pushy. The result is that she has initiated the conversation by asking for help, and she'll be much more commited. Also, she's seen your transformation and knows success is possible.

One item I believe to be critical is to define some goals. A common and very achievable goal for the obese is to train for a 5K. You could set one up in the next 2-3 months, and another say 6 months later. She'd have to walk most or all of the first one, but that's ok... it's still an accomplishment. 6 months later she will probably be able to run at least 1/2 of it and will finish in a MUCH shorter time. This is a HUGE morale boost that will help her remain commited.

It doesn't have to be a 5K, I just think it nicely fits the requirements of a good goal: specific, measurable, and achievable. Plus it's relatively inexpensive, requires no equipment, and they're hosted several times per year in every city. The point is, train for an event, rather than training "to lose weight."
Old 12-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
Ray Carile

Profile:

I am going through the exact same thing with mine. She came in for the first time yesterday. We have a new concept 2 rower that has games on it. I set her up playing fish and it occupied her attention. I had her do 3 rounds of 5 each sit ups , push ups, kb swings and squats. Today she says she is sore as hell. We'll see about her keeping it up. I am not going to push it. They have to decide somewhere inside that they want to make that change
Old 12-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #17
Rochella Larue

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
talking with a friend of mine recently went through this same thing with his kids, both about fitness but also other issues... he suggested that a system of goal based rewards was very effective. if accomplish a certain number of workouts a month maybe take her out and the two of you do something nice together for a treat. if a big goal is reached like a certain amount of weight loss or a certain physical accomplishment then perhaps a bigger reward. also after he got his kids into it he started speaking in terms of "burpees" to help them make food choices. if they wanted some kind of junk food he would say "that piece of cake is equal to 'x' number of burpees" based on burpees it would take to burn off those calories. it was very effective in getting the kids to make wise food choices. just some ideas.
OK I am very interested in this. How many burpees = how many calories? She'd want to kill me () but I like that idea!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #18
Rochella Larue

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
I think this is great. No criticisms from me on not pushing her earlier... you did the best possible thing by leading by example and not being pushy. The result is that she has initiated the conversation by asking for help, and she'll be much more commited. Also, she's seen your transformation and knows success is possible.

One item I believe to be critical is to define some goals. A common and very achievable goal for the obese is to train for a 5K. You could set one up in the next 2-3 months, and another say 6 months later. She'd have to walk most or all of the first one, but that's ok... it's still an accomplishment. 6 months later she will probably be able to run at least 1/2 of it and will finish in a MUCH shorter time. This is a HUGE morale boost that will help her remain commited.

It doesn't have to be a 5K, I just think it nicely fits the requirements of a good goal: specific, measurable, and achievable. Plus it's relatively inexpensive, requires no equipment, and they're hosted several times per year in every city. The point is, train for an event, rather than training "to lose weight."
Jared I like that suggestion. I have never done a 5K but maybe something I can have all the kids do. Thank you
Old 12-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

I think the whole idea of equating food to burpees is terrible. While you can probably have a "Biggest Loser" or "Fat at 15" extreme weight-loss camp situation and be successful in terms of body composition, I don't think you'll be teaching kids what you want them to learn (which, in my mind, is a healthy and pleasurable relationship with food and exercise). IMHO, food should not be a reward or punishment. Food should be enjoyed and savored.

Goals are important, but I would caution you about always striving for more and better... EVERYONE needs time to feel confident at varying levels of mastery (the dreaded "plateau" isn't always a bad thing...).

JMO.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #20
Brian Kellogg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post

The couch to 5k program is a very useful resource you can incorporate, together with the WOD programming. http://www.c25k.com/