CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Ran across this document on Military.com. I'm an Army guy but I thought I'd share it anyway. Really good and it gives credit to Coach and Crossfit and the bottom of page 8. It is work/family safe.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Functional_Fitness_Concept_FINAL_061120[1].pdf (3.27 MB, 597 views)
Old 12-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Wow. At least someone is starting to get it right. I just got back from Army basic training at Fort Benning and their wonderful "fitness" program got me fat and weak. Hopefully this concept takes hold in the Marine Corp and spreads to other branches.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Matt,

Congrats on finishing Basic. What Unit were you in at Benning? I have alot of Drill Sergeant buddies down there. Incidentally, some folks from the Army's Physical Fitness School went to a Crossfit Seminar I think. I know that the Army has been re-working the PT Manual for sometime now and I'm hoping that when's it's finally released it will have some elements of Crossfit. If you are going to a Regular Army Infantry unit, chances are the PT will have some Crossfit type stuff mixed in. Drill Sergeants hands are kind of tied as to what they have to give for PT. In the past, I have done IBA PT, HUMVEE pushes and Litter carries and stuff like that for PT
Old 12-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
There are already about 5 posts on this topic...
Old 12-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Sorry, must have missed those other ones.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
David Paton

Profile:
Always rain on someone's parade...huh Lynne?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
What a great document!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Jeff,

I was at E Co 2/54 with SDS Dailey, DS Howells and DS Lind. They were all pretty awesome. The PT down there just wasn't intense enough I don't think. I was pretty heavy into crossfit before I left. My very first PT test ended up being like 30 points higher than my final one. I cringe to think about what my Fran time is now. I'll get it back though. I honestly think one of the big problems was the Defac. In our third week the normal chow hall was shut down for remodeling or something and we had to eat in a portable for the rest of the time. At the regular chow hall it was kind of easy to pick and choose what you ate and try to get some semi-healthy food. Fruits, cottage cheese, all that good stuff. However when it closed it was pretty much, here's your fried meat patty, mashed potatoes with gravy, maceroni salad, and desert. Enjoy. And I was always hungry enough to eat it all. That probably played a big part.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
Steven Ray Lunsford Jr.

Profile:
Matt, I'm going to be in Army ROTC starting Jan. 8 2007. The Army ROTC PT test max is to do 82 push-ups in 2 min, 92 sit-ups in 2 min, and to run 2 miles in 11:56 or less. I was just wondering if the Army's PT test at boot camp was exactly the same and what was your best PT score while you was down there?