CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Kevin's thread got me thinking: Why manipulate body fat levels by fat multiples rather than by carb intake?

I know, easy answer is, 'It works--black box.'

Theoretically speaking, though: Fat helps keep T high, insulin low, etc.--good for fat burning and everything else. Seems like a more standard approach would be to manipulate carb levels for body comp changes (Glenn Pendlay suggests this in one of his interviews).
Old 04-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
The idea is that you are optimizing your various hormone levels by keeping your protein and carbohydrates in a strict zone. Fat is hormonally neutral, thus it acts as a caloric ballast (Dr. Sears' words) that doesn't negatively effect insulin or blood-sugar levels.

I think that after reaching a certain steady-state, tweaking the amount of carbohydrates could be useful for some goals, but for the overall fitness/body-comp goal, finding that zone of optimized blood-sugar levels and working with fat intake works best.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Jesse,

Thanks. It makes sense that the Zone approach to gaining muscle mass would consist of just upping calories rather than upping insulin.

What makes less sense to me, though, is using lower fat intakes during 'dieting'--i.e., during the acclimation to the Zone where most people lose body fat. It seems like using a lower total block intake and a higher fat multiple would have oodles of good consequences for the dieter--higher T levels and glucagon release from the fat, to name two.

I have the feeling that I may need to review the accounts I've read of how the different macros affect insulin and glucagon, though... it's been too long since I've looked at that info, and I may be getting this wrong.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Ross, maybe fat from the body is utilized for the net energy diffrence and this is maybe similiar to getting dietary fat but has the positive side effect of lowering bodyfat percentage. Not very scientifical but very straightforward.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Note: The above is a guess.