CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
Will Nuse

Profile:
Fall down--get up, go again

The first time I came across the site was back in January or February of 2006, when I was laid up with a broken leg and couldn't do much. I got into Crossfit after that, but kept getting little nagging injuries (supraspinatus, tight iliotibial) that have kept me either at a scaled version of the WOD for much, much longer than I would like, or out of it altogether trying to recover. I've been out of the game for a while, because I'm lazier than I should be, and afraid I'm going to hurt myself worse than I have before. I'm tired of those excuses, and am taking this bull by the horns.

What I'm curious about is how others like me have found a way to come back from their injuries and get back into Crossfitting at the level to which we all aspire, because that's where I'm going. I'm currently deployed for the next five months or so, and I would like to be kicking it and taking names by the time I get back. I look forward to hearing your responses from this awesome and awe-inspiring community.

Will Nuse
Fall down, get up, go again.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Fall down--get up, go again

Seriously wouldn't do too much, too fast.
It may seem like an insult, but how do you feel on the buttercups level of the BrandX workouts?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Tim Newsome

Profile:

I had back problems when I started CrossFit, which are much better now and I think CrossFit can take some credit for that. My problem has been that I just went at it too hard and hurt myself worst, laid off, repeat. Eventually I found the wisdom of going in super-easy. For a while I did 1 on, 2 off, and I took the BrandX puppy scaling and cut either reps or weight in half. Then slowly I would build up as I felt good. Now I'm doing 1 on, 1 off, pack scaling, and I'm moving to 2 on, 1 off. My advice: Start easier than you think you should. You can always make it harder, but if you start out too hard, you'll injure yourself and it'll take a long time to recover.

Good luck!

Tim
Old 06-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Will Nuse

Profile:

Camille, no insult taken whatsoever. I have learned several times to check my ego at the door when it comes to Crossfit. My first CF workout ever was Filthy Fifties, and at least I was smart enough to take out the box jumps and double unders (had just gotten out of my walking cast) but I didn't scale the reps at all. I have since taken a far more sane approach to things. I find myself between the puppy and buttercup level on BrandX right now--I usually begin at the puppy level and drop back into buttercup by the end. For instance, if I start failing on pullups, I start doing jumping pullups to finish things out.

Tim, I wholeheartedly agree. I have been doing the three days on and one day off routine simply to ensure I don't start backsliding, but have been keeping things well within my level of ability. My random flight schedule seems to be putting rest days where I wasn't planning on having them, so that's a double-edged sword as well.

Thanks to both of your for your input!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

I rolled my ankle yesterday on the 5k. Ice, Icy Hot, and some KB snatches today are the answer.

Movement is the best lotion, so I keep moving. If I'm injured I always find something I can do from studying SS 2nd Ed to just rowing.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Michael Blazek

Profile:

I horribly bruised my heel in a softball game. Couldn't not walk on it for two days... The first day I could put presure on it i did the WOD which was shoulder presses and back extensions.

I kept doing the WOD and my heel has not fully healed in over a week now. It finally is not hurting to the point where I can't run.. So I'm making up the 5k today, we will see how bad I end up hurting it again..

This is just a dumb injury with no real long term issues. If I would have just taken a week of not using my feet I would probably be 100%. My advice is not to be like me and make sure you are able to do the motions without risk of serious injury. Be Safe first.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Will Nuse

Profile:

Thought I'd share this since I'm kinda surprised about it myself. I'm on deployment and a lot of the guys on this det came down with a nasty little virus that I caught too, but while some of them have been laid up for nearly a week getting over the chills and hot flashes, I'm past all of it after only a day--only thing left is a little cough, and that shouldn't take more than a few more days to get rid of. I think my recovery has a lot to do with getting back into my Crossfit routine, but that could just be me.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
Kevin McMahon

Profile:

Like others have said move slow, stay comfortable, cause injuries take longer to heal than egos Dont put to much pressure on yourself, and just do what your body tells you is right.