CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Andreas Schrammel

Profile:
till fall....

Hey Guys.I wil have tryout for police special forces in fall...

Most important events: shooting, o-course, psychological testing...

I am now in a SS cycle with decent gains but I am really concerned about my metcon/stamina/endurance for tho o-course (I think this will be my limiting factor).

The best times for the o-course are at 2 min. It is mostly an indoor military typical course.

So my question is how is the best way to prepare if I canīt try the course now. Should I keep the SS cycle or should I switch and do more interval running and tabatas to prepare for the 2 min all effort?

The problem is that I do not know exactly when the testing will be exactly. I am also thinking of doing a lactate test in the next weeks.

Maybe one of you were in the same situation some time and knows what to do best.

I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Chris Bate

Profile:
Re: till fall....

I'm in a similar situation.. I was on a SS cycle when I decided I would participate in a "fitness test" for an event held by the Navy close to where I live. That was about 15 days ago, another 15 days till the test Talk about last minute.

I REALLY wished I had more time to prepare.

So I bet you can tell what my opinion would be

Just my $0.02

Oh, what are your stats? Obviously if you were real strong, then strength wouldn't be a factor and you would just jump on the WOD asap?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
Andreas Schrammel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bate View Post
I'm in a similar situation.. I was on a SS cycle when I decided I would participate in a "fitness test" for an event held by the Navy close to where I live. That was about 15 days ago, another 15 days till the test Talk about last minute.

I REALLY wished I had more time to prepare.

So I bet you can tell what my opinion would be

Just my $0.02

Oh, what are your stats? Obviously if you were real strong, then strength wouldn't be a factor and you would just jump on the WOD asap?
I am not very strong this is why I started the SS cycle. Maybe SS/ CF Blackbox is the solution for me. But I really hope that some of the more expierinced guys than me have some good advise on this.

I wish you good luck!! Go for it!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Oh! Oh! Let me be the first to suggest it!

Do the crossfit WOD!

I've noticed, unsurprisingly, that Crossfit is the generic answer for anyone asking "how should I train" but I do think it's a good answer in this case. Of course, before I go further I'll point out that it would be helpful to know more about whats in a "indoor military typical course" and your height, weight, crossfit total, etc.

But generally I'm going to suggest finishing your SS cycle then hitting up crossfit Workouts of the Day.

If you have 4 or 5 months (sounds like you do) stick to the main page ones, if you have less time you might want to focus more just on metcon workouts. My five WOD suggestions for workouts off the top of my head (scale weight as appropriate):

Workout one
150 Burpees for time

Workout two
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 body weight squats

Workout three
Three rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
12 Pull-ups

Workout four
Three rounds for time of:
35 Double-unders
95 pound thrusters, 25 reps
15 pullups

Workout five <-- Never tried this one, sounds HORRIFIC
100 m Run
1.5 pood Kettlebell swings, 12 reps
10 Pull-ups

As you get closer to the test if you could do stuff more obstacle course related that would be great too. Do similar obstacle courses, or maybe even some parkour stuff.

Thats my thoughts! Keep us posted on how your training goes!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
Andreas Schrammel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post

Do the crossfit WOD!

I've noticed, unsurprisingly, that Crossfit is the generic answer for anyone asking "how should I train" but I do think it's a good answer in this case. Of course, before I go further I'll point out that it would be helpful to know more about whats in a "indoor military typical course" and your height, weight, crossfit total, etc.

But generally I'm going to suggest finishing your SS cycle then hitting up crossfit Workouts of the Day.

If you have 4 or 5 months (sounds like you do) stick to the main page ones, if you have less time you might want to focus more just on metcon workouts. My five WOD suggestions for workouts off the top of my head (scale weight as appropriate):

Workout one
150 Burpees for time

Workout two
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 body weight squats

Workout three
Three rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
12 Pull-ups

Workout four
35 Double-unders
15 pullups

100 m Run
10 Pull-ups

As you get closer to the test if you could do stuff more obstacle course related that would be great too. Do similar obstacle courses, or maybe even some parkour stuff.

Thank you! This sounds interesting an I will give it a try. What do you think of a Cf/SS Blackbox?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
Andreas Schrammel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post

Do the crossfit WOD!

Workout one
150 Burpees for time

Workout two
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 body weight squats

Workout three
Three rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
12 Pull-ups

Workout four
35 Double-unders
15 pullups

100 m Run
10 Pull-ups

In know itīs some tima ago I started this thread. Since then I ended my SS cylce with some decent gains and switched to a mory EDT style training an working on skills.

My selection would be in october (first or second week) and I really want to improve my metcon an anaerobic abilities. Did Cindy today in the morning but only got 14 rounds.

My question is how often can I do metcon style workouts? At the moment I train two to three times a day but mostly for triathlon (swimming, running, cycling and a little strength endurance)

What would the experts suggest too boost my metcon in the last 10 weeks? I guess some may say do the WOD but waht and how often in addition?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Scott Borre

Profile:

Metcon 3 on 1 off, listen to body for extra offs.

I've just started doing www.crossfitendurance.com (WFS), so if you want to continue training for multisport/endurance activities I recommend following that. Read the FAQ that they have there for how to do main site WODs with CFE.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
Andreas Schrammel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Borre View Post
Metcon 3 on 1 off, listen to body for extra offs.

I've just started doing www.crossfitendurance.com (WFS), so if you want to continue training for multisport/endurance activities I recommend following that. Read the FAQ that they have there for how to do main site WODs with CFE.
I already did some of their workouts Really nice!!

I am just starting my "traithlon career" so at the moment I am just a rookie
Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
Chris Dunbar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Schrammel View Post
Hey Guys.I wil have tryout for police special forces in fall...

Most important events: shooting, o-course, psychological testing...

I am now in a SS cycle with decent gains but I am really concerned about my metcon/stamina/endurance for tho o-course (I think this will be my limiting factor).

The best times for the o-course are at 2 min. It is mostly an indoor military typical course.

So my question is how is the best way to prepare if I canīt try the course now. Should I keep the SS cycle or should I switch and do more interval running and tabatas to prepare for the 2 min all effort?

The problem is that I do not know exactly when the testing will be exactly. I am also thinking of doing a lactate test in the next weeks.

Maybe one of you were in the same situation some time and knows what to do best.

I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Hey man, Head on over to navyseals.com and check out there WOD. They post 2 WODs/Day which usually involve aloy more running and swimming then tha mainsite WOD. Nothing against the mainsite WOD but this would be more specific for somone looking for SF fitness. Rob Ord the trainer there is very informative. The last few crossfit journals have had his articles in them which were very informative. I used to try to put my own workouts together using crossfit and endurance work. Ended up overtrained and frustrated.

Cheers
Chris
Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Why hasn't anyone suggested a MEBB approach? Metcon (his biggest worry, even though he says he lacks strength) and Strength (In my opinion the biggest limiting factor for most athletes trying to improve overall fitness).

Check out coachrut.blogspot.com (w/f/s) and go back in the archives to maybe November of 2007 and work your way forward.