CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-29-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
Nick Lewis

Profile:  
A month ago, a friend and I were retreating from an attempt on a new route on a peak in Antarctica. We'd down-climbed 4000' and were only 500' off the glacier when some snow gave way beneath me and I fell some 30' before arresting myself with my ice-axe. The bad news was that I'd fractured my tibia and fibula in the course of the fall and ripped the insertion of my right pectoral muscle off my humerus (I wasn't letting go of that axe). Ouch. When I got out of Antarctica, a surgeon in Chile inserted a tibial rod and screws and re-attached my pectoral muscle with kevlar and 4 rather neat titanium screws.

I'm not so bothered about the leg as it was a reasonably straightforward fracture and I know plenty of climbers and skiers who've had worse and recovered fully but the ripped pec is concerning me. My research indicates that few cases have been reported but it seems an injury that often results from bench-pressing. I've also heard of a pole-vaulter, a waterskier and a linebacker from the Patriots who have suffered from this. I am particularly interested in finding out about recovery success and times. I envisage at least 6-8 months before I can start to get back to my pre-accident Crossfit level. And that first muscle-up may take a lot longer..... :o)

Is there anyone out there who has suffered this or knows anyone who has? It is still early days and the recovery seems to be going well so far but I want to try and learn as much about this as possible and any information would be gratefully received. Many thanks for any help that anyone can offer.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
David Besachio

Profile:
Nick:

I've actually had some patients that have had a significant pectoral tear while in training and completely ignored it so they could continue. They never did a thing about it and were able to function quite well in a demanding, physical job but had some strength decrements. An early repair puts you ahead of the game.

The others I've seen that have gotten it repaired were back up and running in 4-6 months with aggressive rehab so you're probably not too far off with your estimation of rehab time. Full ROM should be achieved before you start kicking *** again.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Nick,
I worked out with a guy who a year earlier had , what looked like a complete pec major tear. The pec was just not there anymore where it should have attached to the humerus, when he flexed it just bunched up close to the L-center of his chest. He was young and had no insurance at the time. Quite the stud still lifted all the time deadlifted over 500lbs and squated over 450 at about 210 bw. His bench was not up to snuff but he did do a lot of heavy tricept work. He finally did get it fixed ~18 months after the original injury (benching) He was doing rehab and it was coming along pretty good but he moved to take a job in Idaho and I lost touch. I echo the early repair is good sentiment. But the impressive thing is that until he pulled up his shirt and showed me I would never had known he had such a significant injury. You couldn't tell by his workouts, and he always trained with a heavy sweatshirt on maybe he was embarased by the injury. His Dr told him to expect a complete recovery and with proper rehab, lifting at close to his prior level within a year was a possibility.

(Message edited by vcraig on December 29, 2005)
Old 01-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Neal Thompson

Profile:
Nick,

Just read the post. Sorry to hear of the injury and I hope your recovery is quick and steady.

Neal