CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-12-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
Lance Breeden

Profile:
Right now I'm only able to get in 3-4 sessions a week. Does anyone have a recommendation on what to do in this case? Just keep doing the WODs in order even though I will get out of synch. Do the one on that day? If I don't do 6 days a week, am I limiting my ability to get better?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Daniel Foster

Profile:
Lance keep doing the wod in order. 3 to 4 sessions are fine.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
Luis Munoz

Profile:
I think all the options you stated are good ones.

You can take the workout from that day and skip the ones that come up on the days you don't train, thereby "keeping up" with the workouts as posted.

You can take the current workouts as posted and work through them consecutively (you'll just work several days behind).

What I like to do is pull up the workouts from a previous month in the archives and follow that schedule. It lets you maintain the programming while working at your own pace (be it for additional rest, work, etc).

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to befefit from 3-4 weekly Crossfit workouts. Not everyone that works out in a Crossfit manner follows the posted WOD. Many people are actively engaged in training for other athletic endeavors and have generated their own schedules for the Crossfit WODs. Depending on what other physical activities you're engaged in, 5-6 days a week may not even be appropriate for you.

IMO, the best thing to do would be to come up with a schedule you think you can manage and then try it out for a while. If you like the results you're getting, stay with it. If it's not working you can sit down and figure out why (overtraining, not performing enough workouts, whatever) and make the necessary changes. If you look in the FAQ section, you can find some cool spreadsheets that you can use to track your progress.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
Lance Breeden

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback. Everyone is very helpful and I know people just getting into this really appreciate it.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Lance,

You'll find that you'll need to start rather slowly. As you build a tolerance to CF-style workouts, your time-to-recovery will decrease, allowing you to cram more quality workouts into a week.

I started with three a week, moving up to four after about 6 months. With proper nutrition and recovery, I'm now able to complete 5-7 workouts a week across a variety of modalities.

If you keep plugging away, you'll get there. Just remember that you have your whole life to get good at this, and no one develops fitness in the hospital!

Best,

Jon