CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-01-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
I received the journal just after returning from my weekly gymnastics class, so I was really intrigued to find another Roger Harrell contribution.

There was a discrepancy with Roger's teaching and my gymnastics instructor's teaching. Roger has hand placement during a cartwheel roughly shoulder-width apart with hands angled in toward eachother. My instructor has us put our hands into a T-formation with the first hand pointing directly in the line with the motion of the cartwheel and the second hand directly perpindicular to the first.

What's the difference?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
The difference is not much more than style, with a little bit of circumstance, IMHO. In the end it boils down to utility - whichever way is most comfortable as you progress from cartwheel to roundoff, which is often the way that was first taught.
One might claim that the perpendicular hand placement is more conducive to the rotation needed for a cartwheel, but in the end I don't think there's much difference at all.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I teach the turn in as it places the shoulders in the best position to get the push off the floor in the cartwheel. As it progresses to the round off I move to the T formation, but NOT as your coach recommends. First hand will be turned out a little so your fingers are perpendicular to your line of motion, and your second hand will be placed so your fingers are pointing where you came from. This hand placement will dramatically improve your block out of the RO. You want to be blocking out of the RO using as much of the front of your body as possible, which means you want to be as square as possible when you block.

This is what I've found in my own gymnastics and coaching, but as always, if I can be shown to be wrong, bring it on. I'll change.