CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Gilles Dhooghe

Profile:
Which would you buy first?

Hi,

just new here, and don't know if I dare saying that I'm "doing CrossFit" when I look at all you gentlemen and ladies post workouts and PB's... Humbling... At best, I'm trying to wake up early enough (6 AM) every day (3 on 1 off) to squeeze in a homemade workout inspired by CrossFit workouts and generated by my Excel random workout generator/selector.

But I'm fairly limited in options right now. I'm lucky to have salvaged the Concept 2 out of my previous relationship, and have some DB's and a KB, and then bodyweight off course. Mix any of those, and you know what my workouts look like. But I'ld love to switch it up and add more "mass-building exercises".
Box = dressing or living room (with neigbor below)...

In a couple of months I'll be moving to a house with a 50 mē (540 sq.ft.) garage (drooool), which will give me a lot of opportunities off course. (Although I'm still negotiating with GF)

Now, here comes the question : on which item would you spend your hard-earned motivational-jar euro's/dollars (€ 2/workout, € 10/week) first, knowing that the more expensive you go , the longer I'll have to wait.

These are the options (based on the article "Smart Shopping for Your Home Gym" I found on the CFJ, prices from rogueeurope) :

1. The Ohio Bar (€ 340 without plates to start with) (= 8 months)
2. Rogue P-4 Pull-up System (€ 150) (= 3-4 months)
3. Dynamax Medicine Ball 20lbs (€ 125) (= 3 months)

The Plyo Box looks easy enough to be homemade, and I'll find a jump rope somewhere cheap.

My question to you : which would you invest in first?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Michael Cook

Profile:
Re: Which would you buy first?

Since you've got DB, KB and rower and can get a box and jump rope - you have got a lot of tools for conditioning. So I don't think the pull up bar and med ball will add much, other than increase the variety of conditioning exercises you can do.

Since you want to build strength, I'd suggest a bar, plates, and a squat rack. That way you can do squats, deadlifts, presses, and olympic lifts. That is what you should be doing to build strength.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Will Thorsen

Profile:

and if it's just you, i'd suggest a squat stand with a pullup bar (s-2, s-3, or sml-2)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Plates are going to be expensive even if you go cheapest Econ you can, but I think on a budget there are bars you can go with, another brand or even several of Rogue's as well, that won't be as expensive and will still serve you well, especially on a budget.

But yeah, a bar and bumpers should be the first big purchase any aspiring well-rounded fitness person should make.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
Clint Harris

Profile:

To gain mass, you'll need to eat well and use some heavy weights. Like others have said, the barbell, weights and squat rack will be the big direction you need to head. By far a barbell and plates are programmed into CF WODS the most, but the ability to gain strength through using external weights is second to none.
It may even behoove you to buy an economy bar. I assume you aren't going to be moving a large amount of weight and/or notice the difference in whip/spin/knurl etc - especially in the beginning. It may be more cost effective than going for the Ohio bar. (I'm not even sure why one would go for the Ohio bar out of the gate anyway - other than flashy label - how does one know that the modified knurling pattern will work for their grip position - I digress).

A jump rope is dirt cheap - relatively speaking. Even the expensive ones are. I'm not sure why you'd skimp here when considering buying a premium pull-up bar and an upgraded barbell. Go ahead and get the SR-1 rope. You'll thank yourself later when this "and I'll find a jump rope somewhere cheap" rope holds you back.

Regarding the wall ball and pull-up bar.
Pull-up bar is a good thing to get in the short term. You can use 3/4" plumbers pipe. Use a 3ft piece, two elbows, two ~10" piece, and two flanges. Screw it all together, bolt it to a couple of 2x6's then bolt entire assembly to ceiling. (2x6 go across two studs).

For wall ball. Make a homemade one with a basketball, sand and duct tape. It will work perfectly fine for throwing up against the wall. For better value and applicability, buy a slam ball. You can use it for wall balls too.

Take a look at making a sand bag or two too - make them heavy. You can clean/squat/carry/shoulder/slam/throw/swing them.

There's a myriad of "how-to's" to do all this stuff. Even wooden racks. They are an excellent stop-gap for the short term before as you save up.
Then crawl whatever classified adds you may have over there for used equipment.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 01-07-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Steven Thunander

Profile:

1. Get a Bar/Bumper Plate package. Good vendors include Rogue Fitness, Muscle Driver USA, and Again Faster. You can also put together your own custom bar/plate package if you are looking to save money (Ex a Rogue Ohio bar and Pendlay Econ V2 bumper plates). This will cost you anywhere from $500-$1000, depending how you do this. MDUSA, Rogue, and Again Faster also allow for custom packages (including racks), AF allows you to build it on their website, you will have to call Rogue or MDUSA to customize their packages.

2. Build a box jump. Various designs are online.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

I will echo others thoughts on bar+plates and a rack (personally don't advocate stands) go for an R3!

My personal point of view, no point in getting a bar if you don't get plates with it.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Dhooghe View Post
But I'ld love to switch it up and add more "mass-building exercises".
Ok, I like the part about "the more expensive the longer you have to wait." Get started, right away. You have that new year motivation so get rockin'. Without truly reading every detail and what others have said, I'll keep it simple.

Get a bar. Get the best one you can afford NOW, even if it means you have to sacrifice some other non-training things. Don't go crazy, as it is unnecessary right now. A good bar though keeps you safe and...well, just get a good bar. Then buy some plates. Metal first. You don't need bumpers. If you can get them on the cheap, great but 99% of the time they will cost loads more than metal used plates. 45lbs is 45lbs and if you aren't gunning for the gold, you don't need things calibrated to the ounce. Old rusted metal clanging plates worked wonders for the massive bodybuilders of the 50s, 60s, and 70s - they are fine for "mass building."

Finally, get a rack. Something to keep you safe (spot bars) with heavy loads and something to put that bar on for Back Squats.

Give me a decent bar (one that doesn't bend after the 3rd use of heavy deadlift drops), metal plates and a Squat Rack and you have the following:
- Deadlifts
- Presses (overhead is fine, you don't even need a bench right now)
- Back Squats

combine that with loads of chin-ups, pullups and pushups, tons of food and trust me...you are massive.

Everything else is secondary. Want the greatness of Power Cleans and O-lifts without bumpers? You just found a way to work grip strength and back strength by doing it all from the Hang. You don't need to think about the whole "But I want to power clean at 135lbs, followed by a push press and then with a bar overhead so I'll need to try and throw half way across the gym so I need bumpers" sort of thing." Its an exaggeration.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
Deren Huang

Profile:

Like many people said here, bar and weight is golden.

This Crossfit Journal Entry lays out a ton of information for you.

http://www.brickfinancial.com/crossf...ll_homegym.pdf (SFW)

the bar and weight are the 2 top things used.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Gilles Dhooghe

Profile:

Thanks for all the replies.

So if I sum : you all suggest I'ld go for the bar and DIY on the pull-up bar and medicine ball.

As as to "why the Ohio Bar?" Well, it was the cheapest on www.rogueeurope.com (SFW). Still have to read and learn a lot on what makes a good bar and what doesn't...

Gilles