CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Josh Bailey

Profile:
Re: Chiropractic/Nervous System Dysfunction

A couple of points:
Your premise on point 1 is off. You don't turn on and turn off your nervous system. Its always on and if it is off you are dead. So, there is always constant activity in your nerves, its just more when you use that specific part. Whether or not it is functioning optimally is the question.

Point 5 is a little off as well (in my humble opinion). Massage is for muscles. Chiropractic is bones and nerves. You don't ask your Dentist to look at your car. You wouldn't get a good result asking your massage therapist for a look at your spine either.

It sounds like you reallllly don't trust the guy. Anything he does to you, you aren't going to like. Go to another chiropractor that you trust. Its not that Chiropractic doesn't work or his technique doesn't work or even his machine. You just don't trust him and it's never going to work out. Sucks, but true. Find a good Chiro (that you like) and stick with them. Regular tune ups can do wonders for an active person such as what you sound like. Just ask Rich Froning Jr. about his Chiropractor.

Another thing, exercising and mobilizing are a BIG part of the picture, but without a proper assessment by a professional about what to mobilize and what to NOT mobilize (individuals are different) you are shooting in the dark at best. You may have an idea about what you feel and even if you are REALLY in tune with your body, there may be something you just can't see or feel. The most elite professional athletes use Chiros on a regular basis. In my opinion, everyone should. If you have a problem, like it sounds like you do, it's an alert signal from your body that you should listen to and kuddos that you are taking action about it. Try a chiro that is (FMS) Functional Movement Systems certified. They might be more what you are looking for. Website safe: http://www.functionalmovement.com/
Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bailey View Post
A couple of points:
Your premise on point 1 is off. You don't turn on and turn off your nervous system. Its always on and if it is off you are dead. So, there is always constant activity in your nerves, its just more when you use that specific part. Whether or not it is functioning optimally is the question.

Point 5 is a little off as well (in my humble opinion). Massage is for muscles. Chiropractic is bones and nerves. You don't ask your Dentist to look at your car. You wouldn't get a good result asking your massage therapist for a look at your spine either.

It sounds like you reallllly don't trust the guy. Anything he does to you, you aren't going to like. Go to another chiropractor that you trust. Its not that Chiropractic doesn't work or his technique doesn't work or even his machine. You just don't trust him and it's never going to work out. Sucks, but true. Find a good Chiro (that you like) and stick with them. Regular tune ups can do wonders for an active person such as what you sound like. Just ask Rich Froning Jr. about his Chiropractor.

Another thing, exercising and mobilizing are a BIG part of the picture, but without a proper assessment by a professional about what to mobilize and what to NOT mobilize (individuals are different) you are shooting in the dark at best. You may have an idea about what you feel and even if you are REALLY in tune with your body, there may be something you just can't see or feel. The most elite professional athletes use Chiros on a regular basis. In my opinion, everyone should. If you have a problem, like it sounds like you do, it's an alert signal from your body that you should listen to and kuddos that you are taking action about it. Try a chiro that is (FMS) Functional Movement Systems certified. They might be more what you are looking for. Website safe: http://www.functionalmovement.com/
Not to get off the topic, but I have to ask you Josh, what holds bone together? And if not for the muscles that the nervous system innervates and the dysfunction they create across joints, we would not have a job. So YES, we do work on muscles. Additionally, if all you do is adjust you have ignored about 90% of the problem.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
Brian Strump

Profile:

Sorry, I'm tapping out of this one. It's also likely why I can't stand 90% of the profession I'm in.

Sadly, sometimes I'm embarrassed that I'm in the same profession as others.

Your #s 4-6 reasons are enough for you to move on.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Jordan - it's time to find a different Chiro. There are a lot great ones out there. By and large, if the first appointment is spent telling you what the treatment plan for the next year is going to be you are not meeting with one of the great ones.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #15
Josh Bailey

Profile:

"Not to get off topic, but"...you did.