CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Chiropractic/Nervous System Dysfunction

So I went to the chiro this morning for some spinal alignment issues as well as a prominent neck protrusion around the C7 area. It was kind of a whatever thing because I have benefits and was curious and I have had some neck tightness on my right side for a few years.

He isn't a skeletal chiro but mainly works with the nervous system. He used some machine and went up and down my spine measuring nervous system function. It was a mess. He showed me 100% function and then my own system and it was really bad. It was heavily weighted to my right side which makes sense. The interesting thing is when dealing with lots of stress my stomach is very strongly affected. The most dysfunction was at my mid back which are also where all the nerves innervating the digestive system are located. He said if we restore proper function and take pressure off my nerves my bones will reset themselves and the bump on my neck would go away. He used some tool and clicked around on my spine and did other chiropracty type stuff.

My question is how did this happen? Is it from back squatting and too much lifting? He mentioned that because I'm so strong and exercise regularly it's helping offset my dysfunction. Should I take a break from weight training? He didn't really give me answers regarding how at my age my system got so messed up, especially since I've worked so hard to stay healthy.

Also if anyone knows about this type of thing what can I do to restore proper function and take the stress off my nerves? Are there exercises I can do at home? Should I stop training a particular way? Is it as simple as fixing everyday posture? I'm definitely more cognizant of what I'm doing in the gym now. I never got pain from it but suddenly every Deadlift or overhead lift where I broke in my mid back seems to have built up. I've never had bad form but I have put my body under a lot of strain over the years. It makes sense as well because my mid back is where I always break. With sitting or any type of movement if I lose posture somewhere it's right where he showed me the dysfunction was.

Anyone have any insights? How do you keep your nervous system healthy?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Josh Bailey

Profile:
Re: Chiropractic/Nervous System Dysfunction

Sounds like you have a few questions here. It might be helpful to know more about the machine that your chiro used. What is it called exactly?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Ha ha ya that was a long ranting post. I guess it can all boil down to this: thanks to Kelly we all know how to mobilize joints and function, my question is how do you relieve pressure on your nervous system? Is that a result of proper mobilization or is there something you should be doing? Or is it just chasing the wind? Like it's just a downstream problem from improper movement or mobility. I'm curious.

I'll find out the machine tomorrow for you as I'm going back to see him. I've also it a list of questions I hope he'll answer honestly.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Greg Spaight

Profile:

I'm hoping one of the good chiros who post on here chimes in soon - kinda sounds like a load of hooey to me...
Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Spaight View Post
I'm hoping one of the good chiros who post on here chimes in soon - kinda sounds like a load of hooey to me...
I don't have the time to say what I really want to. But I will say this. Go see someone else. What that chiro did was a "load of hooey"

Oh, and that hump on your back is most likely due to poor posture. Simple as that.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Yes, don't really have the time to reply as I'd like.

Here's the thing; we help people with alot of crazy $hit in our office besides the common musculo-skeletal complaints.

Irritable bowel syndrome, bed wedding, sinus issues, etc. Others with different tremor or neurological disorders may also see positive results from the chiropractor.

HOWEVER,(I wish I could make the font even bigger) unfortunately some chiropractors use sales pitches, and try to talk about "NASA approved" devices to tell you about your nervous system. 99% of that is crap, and the technology it's used for by the chiropractor is NOT how "NASA" intended.

Can they help with some of the things you mentioned, certainly. We do to.
We just don't sell you on fancy charts of bull$hit.

I'd look around for a referral from friends or family.

Also to note; when looking for the chiropractor, if they only give you an option to pay thousands of dollars upfront; don't go there.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Josh Bailey

Profile:

So, I'm a Chiro and post here every now and then. I've seen a sEMG machine used in the way you are mentioning here. It is interesting stuff. There really isn't much in the way of research on this type of technology that wasn't done by the companies who make them. If you are the type that needs Double Blind Placebo controlled trials in order to make decisions about your health, then you aren't in luck here.
However, your nervous system controls all of your body and if there is stress on that system, it makes sense that you won't function the way you should. Measuring that stress with sEMG is interesting, like I said, because some practitioners have taken extra classes offered by these companies designed to teach them how to better interpret the data received by these scans and others are just using it as well, more bull**** to scare you into care. I've seen both types.
Is it valid? Could be, makes sense to me, but depends on how it was presented. I run from people or language that seems more like scare tactic and less like fact.
So, can chiropractic adjustments relieve stress on your nervous system? Yes, I think so. The problem with Kstarr vids is a whole other story.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

Hey Jordan, how's Steinbach?

Are you seeing the Chiro who is a member at our gym? I saw him the other day for a very similar issue. I'm going back today and will probably see him a couple more times before I make up my mind on the techniques used. If you're seeing someone else, what I had was identical to what you described. I only saw him after several people recommended him.

I may be leaning towards agreeing with some of the above posts. I have been adjusted before and it felt great immediately after. This, I'm not as convinced.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Hey Brad! Things are going really well. My garage gym set up is really sweet right now.

Yes I am seeing Dr. Heibert who said he recognized me from Prairie when I went in. I'm inclined to agree with the assessments posted above, I like to be informed and I am quite skeptical about these techniques. I got more information today from him and will outline my concerns below. The tools he used are an EMG for measuring activity and some tool called the integrator which acts like a tuning fork. I can post my scans if anyone is interested.

1) The tools used really don't make sense to me. Having a B.S.C with classes concentrated in biology and chemistry I have a decent understanding of the body and it's functionality. Let's assume that the EMG can measure activity which I'm already skeptical about. The problem I see is this: it would only measure actual activity, not the conductivity of nerves. Lets say someone used one to measure brain activity. Well you would only see activity when they tell you to think about something or do a math problem. So I see it that if I was thinking of nothing then the doctor could say 'see, you're only using 10% of your brain right now. You're brain dead.' We all know this is ridiculous. So if he actually is able to measure my spine, let's say I haven't eaten in over an hour, then he would see no activity from nerves innervating my digestive system.

2) The way the information was presented makes me skeptical. When he measured my nervous activity he had me turn around and face the wall. Most doctors realize people are skeptical and they will show them what is happening while they work.

3) When he showed me my scan and told me what was happening with my spine he could have easily doctored the information to me depending on information I gave him. I had to fill out a form before going that had a checklist for issues you've had. When I get stressed I get stomach issues so I checked that off. Since he knew this going into the scan he could have easily made up the chart to have more severe communication along my mid back and said see, this is why you have stomach issues. As well I told him that I was told before by my uncle who is a paramedic that my c-spine is slightly off center to the right, as well my back is noticeably more muscular on my right side. My strength levels are the same and grip strength is the same. I just have more hypertrophy on the right side. Since I told him this before the test he also could have easily doctored the scan to show more severe dysfunction on my right side.

4) This one is obvious but he refuses to answer my questions and is quite a pushy person. He didn't want to sit down and talk with me, he pushed down all of my questions and just kept telling me to come back. He knew my benefits were running out this week so he was able to doctor his sales pitch a bit and said I responded really fast to his treatment so I would only need to come next week once and then every 3 weeks. Well I'm sorry but I have a hard time seeing how spending 2 minutes clicking a tuning fork on my spine once every 3 weeks is going to correct supposed severe dysfunction.

5) He said I responded really fast to his treatment. He told me that when I came in my legs were out of alignment due to my hips being twisted. He said to look at my shoes and my left one will likely be more worn. I don't shuffle my feet so none of my shoes get worn through at all. As well I've never had back problems ever. If my hip alignment is off I would think I would feel that dysfunction. Anyhow, I told him after yesterday's appointment I had a massage where I had my therapist check out my spinal alignment as well as to check my vertebrae doing back extensions to see if there's any flat areas. She didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I had her work on my back and when I got home I pulled out my pain balls and went to town mobilizing myself. He told me that mobility won't help at all, that only he can fix this dysfunction. But let's pretend he's right and my system is really taxed like it is, wouldn't stretching, opening up joints, and getting a massage relieve pressure on the system? If this tuning fork is the answer to everyone's ailments why isn't this the new magic cure?

6) I looked up the integrator on google. It looks very sales pitchy and I can't find a single unbiased review of it. Every chiro website that uses it has the exact same wording and explanation of the tool.

Needless to say, I'm skeptical. My massage therapist has helped me a ton working on stuff I can't fix myself and I understand how relieving tension and working on tight muscles can restore proper function, but I don't know how 'retuning' my nerves will cause things to fix themselves.

If you guys want me to post the information he gave me let me know. If I used any faulty reasoning please correct.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

I actually forgot.

7) What he showed me was my mid back nerves had severe dysfunction. Well if the nerves innervating my stomach were really severely dysfunctional how is it that I can eat at all? Everyone feels stress and anxiety differently. I usually feel it in my stomach. If I was as dysfunctional as he said why would it only express itself when I'm stressed? Why wouldn't I notice these issues more often? I'm not really buying it. As far as the stomach is concerned it only happens maybe once a year or so and it never lasts long. I figure it has more to do with me learning to deal with stress than my nerves being dysfunctional.