CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Gloria Dennis

Profile:
PLEASE HELP!! Recent Gallbladder Removal

Hey all, I have been in Crossfit at Crossfit Hard Knox, based in Radcliff, KY by the Military base for 4 months and it has changed my life and I absolutely love it. I rapidly gained my strength back from being an athlete years ago. Unfortunately, I had to endure many surgeries that have put me from working out on hold for the past 6 years. Given I recently joined I've already lost up to 60 lbs, I FEEL AWESOME, I knew my life was back on track on being a healthier and fitter woman. About 2 weeks ago, I had two horrible gallbladder attacks -excruciating pain, and just 10 days ago had to have my gallbladder removed due to MULTIPLE stones. I have researched many different sites, blogs, magazines, books on HOW A CROSSFITTER recovers from a Laparoscopic procedure and getting back into Crossfit, but NO CONCRETE/DETAILED ANSWERS. All I read is give it 6-8 weeks then you can resume back into your normal workouts. This is not enough for me. I was told by my physician after 2 weeks I can start to condition, then lift up to 15lbs of weight after 3 weeks then progressively add weight as the weeks go by, but IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION ON WHAT EXERCISES I CAN DO, HOW OFTEN, WHAT FOODS ARE GOOD FOR CROSSFITTERS DURING THIS RECOVERY TIME, ETC?? PLEASE HELP!!! I know I need to let my body heal-which I am, I understand the consequences if I strain my body too hard too soon- but I also don't want to SLOWLY ease my way back, starting real soon, I just want to make sure I am making the right decisions! I love feeling the strength I have when I Crossfit, Crossfit is now my life and I want to be completely educated if and when I have moments like this again and if others need the HELP as well! PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
Kellie Moore

Profile:
Re: PLEASE HELP!! Recent Gallbladder Removal

Hi Gloria,
Not sure this will totally answer your question, but I wanted to point you towards the website paleoparents.com (wfs); Stacy is a Crossfitter who has had her gallbladder removed, and a great nutrition resource.
Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Kellie
Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
John Romanoff

Profile:
Re: PLEASE HELP!! Recent Gallbladder Removal

Gloria,

I also had my gallbladder removed laproscopically. I saw my surgeon two weeks post-op and he gave me the all clear to resume normal activity. That was on a Monday. On Tuesday I was back at my box. Unfortunately for me, the first WOD was one of the Crossfit Games workouts, and it kicked my butt. I worked out 4 days that week, but was walking like an old man. My advice to you, once you are cleared by your doctor, is to get back in, but go as light as possible on weights at first. I am not a Crossfit All Star by any means, but it took me a good four weeks before I was back at my previous level. Good luck in your recovery.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
Gloria Dennis

Profile:
Talking Re: PLEASE HELP!! Recent Gallbladder Removal

Thank you so much guys for responding, it has now been a little more than 3 weeks from my surgery and I feel great!! I had a couple complications but did good. I saw my doctor and cleared me to start to resume normal activity but my doctor was also very admirable about not to go FULL THROTTLE in cross fit. She states to start my more core work outs at least 6 weeks after the surgery and to not exceed 20 at 2 weeks and to gradually add weight as the weeks go by and thats what I am doing. I've been working on my form more and I can only wait patiently with better form how much more stronger I'll be!! Thanks again guys for the response!!