CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Ben Joven

Profile:
Anybody done LASIK?

I live in San Diego and know a bunch of people that work for the top LASIK center here at a San Diego LASIK Center and was wondering if anybody has done it? and what their experience was like afterwards in re to their eyesight?

I do BJJ once a week, and someone was saying that if you do anything that risks your eyeball getting brushed you shouldn't do LASIK cause the flap might get undone.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Anybody done LASIK?

You would be solid after awhile. You won't be doing BJJ for awhile. My wife had it done. Blurred vision at first at night and got used to it. 20/20 from 20/100-something. She was told she was an ideal candidate.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Yep, about 9 years ago. No problems at all. 20/20 vision.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Chris Girgis

Profile:

Had wavefront, blade-free LASIK done last October by the top doctor in the area. Only post-op "complication" was some residual red blood cells in my left eye which required about an extra month of steroid drops.

Minor halos were noticeable from headlights for about the first 4-6 weeks. Made my wife chauffeur me after dark. Completely nonexistent now. I still use drops but my primary job keeps me in an arid environment for the majority of the time.

Corrected to 20/17 from 20/400-ish.

Just be sure to follow pre- and post-op instructions to the T. The place I had it done was absolutely awesome about answering any questions, alleviating any concerns, and the post-op follow-ups/care have been great.

My only regret was waiting so long to do it.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Due to your activity I would advise against LASIK, but you can get the same thing I got done which is called said I PRK; it's a more extensive healing process but it takes away less cornea (so you can have it done again later) and it keeps your eye at 100% strength since there is no flap that gets cut. Guys in the army and cops will get PRK done if they do get their eyes lasered.

I ended up having very good results, my one eye is 20/10 and the other is 20/20 due to a stigmatism.

Dude... quality of life wise it's worth every freaking penny. Going to the beach, driving a motorcycle, going snowboarding... even travelling all you need now is a toothbrush. Especially if you wear contacts getting laser is total freedom.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Nick Troutman

Profile:

Had it done in January. Greatest thing ever. 20/15 vision now.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Did it 16 years ago, life changing from sure. I was skiing and/or mt biking every day and glasses/contacts weren't cutting it.

If I remember correctly it takes 6 months to a year for the flap to fully heal? Not 100% sure re that, but you for sure wouldn't want to take a ship to the eye for a bit.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
Due to your activity I would advise against LASIK, but you can get the same thing I got done which is called said I PRK; it's a more extensive healing process but it takes away less cornea (so you can have it done again later) and it keeps your eye at 100% strength since there is no flap that gets cut. Guys in the army and cops will get PRK done if they do get their eyes lasered.

I ended up having very good results, my one eye is 20/10 and the other is 20/20 due to a stigmatism.

Dude... quality of life wise it's worth every freaking penny. Going to the beach, driving a motorcycle, going snowboarding... even travelling all you need now is a toothbrush. Especially if you wear contacts getting laser is total freedom.
+1 for PRK. The recovery is longer but there's no flap involved.

I had mine 10 years ago, peaked at about 20/15, now 20/20. (I'm also old.)
Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Craig McInnes

Profile:

orthokeratology

Look into it. It is the real deal and very safe... no shooting lasers into your head. I thought it was witch doctor stuff at first, but it works well and is quite affordable.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Adam Shreim

Profile:

The flap still heals. The real risk of the flap injury is about 30-90 days. After that, it isn't as big of a deal. It was probably one of the better choices I made (getting LASIK).

Depending on corneal thickness, PRK shaves a little less of your cornea, too.