CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:
I say its Asthma, Doc says its CrossFit!

When I exercise (esp CrossFit!) I typically use my inhaler an average of 4 times. During. one. WOD. That's right. I have used is as many as 8, as few as 2. But I always have to use it.
I have had FOUR pulmonary lung function tests perfomed on me in the past 3 years- 2 in the past 5 weeks. EVERY one of them shows I have above average lung capacity. Although I have a rescue inhaler, and past doctors have given me an RX for a maintenance inhaler, my latest doc said he doesnt think I have asthma, but rather, Im getting "in the zone" (wth does that mean?) and thats why its hard to breathe.
Ok, dude- its not "hard to breathe"- it's like breathing through a plastic coffee stirrer. I know the difference between being winded form a hard workout and having a problem. He went on to say that "anyone doing CrossFit is going to have problems like this". Told me to keep my inhaler on hand, in case I need it (duh!) and basically sent me out the door with NO answers.
SO, my question here is- Since I am getting NO WHERE with the 3 doctors I have been to, what can I do to improve my obvious problem? My opinion is that its a bronchial issue, not a lung issue. Ive started taking alot of fish oil and im trying to cut back on dairy.
ANY ideas are appreciated.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Craig Dickson

Profile:
Re: I say its Asthma, Doc says its CrossFit!

Did your dr discuss exercise induced asthma as a possibility? It wasn't a common diagnosis but I remember a few cases diagnosed in the Army TMC I ran when I was in uniform. -- as an enlisted medic, not a dr.

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/ex...induced-asthma (wfs)
Old 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Nothing like fran lung. Worse in the cold.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Mike Hopper

Profile:

Another thing I would consider is called Vocal Cord Dysfunction. It is often brushed off as being asthma, but you don't get relief that asthma treatments provide..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_cord_dysfunction
Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hopper View Post
Another thing I would consider is called Vocal Cord Dysfunction. It is often brushed off as being asthma, but you don't get relief that asthma treatments provide..

Nailed it. If that's not what I have, I dont know what it is. I didnt know there was anything it could be BUT asthma, however, the above fits my symptoms MUCH more accurately. I have problems breathing in, not out and the inhalers dont really do much.
As a side note, I already have a neurological condition(epilepsy) and have an impant near my vocal cord to help control that (works like a pace maker, kinda.)
I am seeing my neurologist tomorrow and this will be at the TOP of my list to discuss with him.

I am BEYOND grateful for this info!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

Wow, nice catch Mike H.

If only doctors would take a moment to listen. I saw a cardiologist this year after my general doc attributed my irregular heartbeat to crossfit. "Overworking" she said. Actually, it was PVC's - totally harmless and easily controlled with some additional electrolytes.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hopper View Post

Mike I am giving you a virtual kiss!! It was like Divine Intervention- I read your reply to my post, and within the hour my doc called me to lmk he had talked to a ENT friend of his who ALSO didnt think it was asthma. He was at a loss but said he'd be happy to refer me.
I mentioned the Vocal Cord Dysfunction and LONG story short, I think we may have found the answer. With some changes in an implant I have in my chest to help control epilepsy (its called VNS therapy), Ive gone through 2 WODs now with no breathing issues! Thats a first. THANK. YOU.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Mike Hopper

Profile:

Tricia, I'm glad you found an answer. I think the VCD is definitely worth consideration anytime one thinks they have asthma but don't seem to get the relief from asthma treatments. I've known a few athletes to deal with VCD so I don't know a lot about it, but enough to be dangerous sometimes
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Adam Schulte

Profile:

I just responded to a couple of posts about a medical study I launched for this very reason. Here's a piece that I felt summed up what most here are addressing concerns about:

"The rapid expansion of CrossFit in a relatively short amount of time has produced a large population of athletes that we know relatively little about, yet primary care and specialty providers are seeing increased numbers in their clinics and possibly providing misguided treatment/care because of their unfamiliarity with the sport, the programming, and/or the demands placed on the body. That was the impetus for creating this survey. An easy-to-access, brief, electronic questionnaire fashioned after a typical new patient packet that most (if not all) patients submit upon their first visit to a new practitioner is what stemmed from this need."

I'm a doc in Ohio, CF-L1, CSCS, and a crossfitter of 2 years. I'd be indebted if each or any of you would take the survey. If interested, this is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Cross...ompositeSurvey

In just 2.5 months we've collected over 1,000 surveys from CrossFit athletes all over the globe. Please contact me at crossfitcompositesurvey@gmail.com if you have any questions!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

A test! But it's summertime!