CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
Jon Hanover

Profile:
Re: Spartan Race.

Spartan MILITARY race.

The one in colorado last year was the hardest one i've ever done (warrior, tough mud, etc.) because of the difficulty of the obstacles, and the density of them... one after another, hills, etc.

I won't do different race... as i think they are too expensive, the entire year, unless i did one for fun... but for a true challenge, the spartan military race in CO
Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
Rob Darden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Briones View Post
I've done back to back Mudders (sat & sun) 12mi each, Spartan Sprint 3+mi, Spartan Super 8+mi, and Spartan Beast 13.5mi. My preference is Spartan, but both have their qualities. Have fun and the right shoes make a world of difference.
What type os shoes do you recommend? I have an older pair of Reebok Nano's that are on their last leg that I was going to run. The only thing that concerns me is the grip.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Darden View Post
What type os shoes do you recommend? I have an older pair of Reebok Nano's that are on their last leg that I was going to run. The only thing that concerns me is the grip.
You will be so muddy that my only thought on shoes is whether I want to try to salvage them after the race.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #24
Rob Darden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
You will be so muddy that my only thought on shoes is whether I want to try to salvage them after the race.
This is what I was thinking. I will probably just run my old Nanos and put them to rest, or they will become the new chew toy for the dogs.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
LeEarl Rugland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Darden View Post
This is what I was thinking. I will probably just run my old Nanos and put them to rest, or they will become the new chew toy for the dogs.
I race in many Spartan Races and use the same shoes over and over. I run in Inov-8's. They are the way to go if you want to be competitive. But almost any Cross Country race show with a waffle bottome will work and you will be able to keep using them for other races.

I missed out on the CO race last year but will be there this year. The PA Sprint was a tough as hell race and the VT Beast/Ultra Beast was the hardest all year.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #26
Steven Thunander

Profile:

I did the spartan sprint at Miller Park in Milwaukee. I got a time of 1:07:52. I ended up doing 120 penalty burpees. I failed one of the walls (got over the tallest one, though), the shuffle wall, the rope climb, and the spear throw. This race was fun, no mud, but LOTS of stairs. If you do plan on doing a Spartan Race Ballpark series, add in some stair work.

I am hoping to do the Illinois Super next year, and, depending on how that goes (and other obligations), a Beast race to get the trifecta.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #27
Daniel Navarro

Profile:

If the Spartan Chicago is the same one I did this year, it's a lot of fun. Although, it's technically not in Chicago. It was in Marsailes, IL, so it was in the forest, super muddy. I think I did it in 2:33 or something like that.

As for shoes, you'll be fine with regular trail running shoes. After the race, I hosed them down, and they were like new...ish.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
Chris Richardson

Profile:

I just ran the Spartan Beast in Glen Rose, Texas. Other the bitter cold and water I thought it was difficult. Carrying buckets of gravel (several times) was dumb and annoying...the course (according to my running watch) was 13.96mi. It want not bad overall.

I'll prob run another.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #29
Chris Luu

Profile:

I've ran a whole bunch of these Spartan Races. I think that the Sprint and Super are really easy. If you want a challenge, run the Beast. They're definitely a challenge and fun as hell.