CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:
Severe facet arthritis

I have been diagnosed with Severe facet arthritis in my lower back. I'm awaiing my PT appt in a few weeks. Until then what should I avoid doing? I obviously have stopped doing situps, kipping pullups, DL's. All these cause me more pain. I'm in constant pain throughout the day and dont' want to do anymore damage. Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Severe facet arthritis

Pretty much any type of mobility work that alleviates or makes you feel better afterward.

Dial in the diet, eliminating offending foods and refined carbohydrates, up the fish oil
Old 07-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Thanks Steven, I'm in the middle of a Whole 30, so my diet is super clean. I was taking 3g DHA/EPA, but I'll up it a bit.

Hoping the PT can help!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Daniel Cowan

Profile:

I've self diagnosed myself with facet syndrome (arthritis) in my thoracic, I'm interested in what makes the pain worse? and what where the symptoms when the accident happened? I hyper extended whilst bench pressing and had burning pains between my scapula's for months and occasionaly pain around the sternum and around my ribs.

At the moment (almost 10 months later) I'm getting occasional stiffness and soreness, perhaps turn't arthritic? Im only 18 aswell.

I've looked in a few books about this, apparently facet joint arthritis is the only type of arthritis where "training" relieves the pain, but they had not specificed what kind of training that was.

I quote from Mark Rippetoe "Facet joint injuries will heal like everything else if you quit ****ing them off."

Since the facet joints don't go through a large range of mation relative to others, have you tried to just limit extension and remain neutral for a while?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Daniel, I didn't have any accident that caused it. I do have an S curve in my back and my hips come up uneven out of the bottom of ANY squat. I think over the course of doing CF for 2.5y, I've just aggreviated it enough. The back pain isn't a burning. More so it feels like my lower left back is just super tight and needs to be rolled. I have a constant dull pain and sometimes my hips get locked and I have to physically lift one leg off the other (while sitting) to get up. I can also just shift my weight when standing feel a pop in my back.
Almost anything anymore aggreviates it. But especially, DL, kipping pullups, situps. I go on Tuesday to the PT and will report back
Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Went to PT today. Anterior tilt to pelvis. L1-L5 are very deep in my back. Twisting towards my left causes no movement in my lower spine only my upper spine, right twist moves fine. Tight hamstrings and hip flexors. Plan on going to PT 2x week for 8 weeks
Old 12-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
R James Conn

Profile:

Elizabeth

Just curious how all this has turned out.
I'm in the same boat, hurts constantly.
Did anything help?
Old 12-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Y'all might want to check out foundation training. Here is a link:

http://foundationtraining.com

I learned about it through this forum and bought and read the book to increase my knowledge and learn to help new folks at the box who come in in such bad shape and with poor posture. Since I sit at a desk most of the day with my "real" job I also wanted to work to improve my own posture and flexibility, even though I think it is pretty good. I've begun the training and it is not easy. The authors report excellent results working with patients with back pain and most everything they advocate is consistent with what is advocated through CrossFit. I recommend y'all take a look and give it a shot.