CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: 100 CLEAN pull-ups in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Doran Marshall View Post
I would equate kipping pullups with air squats, if you bounce at the bottom and swing your arms.
And what does that have to do with deadhang pullups or with weighted squats?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #22
Joshua Paul

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
anyone else thought it was odd when he said "Should I work out other muscles as well (feet, chest, triceps etc?)"
I am sorry. Calves, hamstrings, vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, rectus femoris, inner thigh, glutes.

I understand that there is nobody who can give me actual advise in here? Okay. I decided to start the Armstrong pull up program with some modifications (weighted pullups) and will quit all other exercises for the back for some time. Let's see what will happen.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #23
Tony Yung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Paul View Post
I am sorry. Calves, hamstrings, vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, rectus femoris, inner thigh, glutes.

I understand that there is nobody who can give me actual advise in here? Okay. I decided to start the Armstrong pull up program with some modifications (weighted pullups) and will quit all other exercises for the back for some time. Let's see what will happen.
Dude no offense....but you are asking advice on something that 99.999% of people have never even tried much less accomplished. Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for. Do a bunch of pull ups. Lose a bunch of weight so you are not pulling so much weight. Do more pull ups. Do weighted pull ups. Then do more pull ups.....that's the advice I'd give you.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #24
Jeff Binek

Profile:

1. Don't make your goals too lofty, start small work your way up little bits at a time. Maybe you should work on getting 20 before you work on getting 100.

2. You're asking a bunch of generalists about something specific very few of us have ever thought about. (we can help get you 5 more, not 85 more)

3. You should 'work' your entire body to get stronger/build muscle, and attack pull-ups on the side of this.

4. Pretty sure this is one of those 'feats' that is near impossible, there are maybe a few people in the world that can do this, and they likely are genetically gifted enough (short, small arms, super lean, light) to start at like 50 or 60 dead hangs, then work up to 100, not start at 15, I can do more than 15 and don't think I could do this with steroids and 10 years of specific training, but then again I have no desire to.

5. Good luck. - go here - http://www.extremepullups.com/forum/ (WFS)
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 07-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #25
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:

Fine:

Build up pull-up 1rm strength using a SS 5-5-5 or 5-3-1 method. During the linear portion do the SS 5-5-5 then switch to 5-3-1 when it plateaus. Keep track of your theoretical 1rm during all this.

Using 40 to 60% of your pull-up 1rm, twice a week do a six round tabata of dead hang pull-ups. Yes, early on that means you're doing less than bodyweight so use graviton or bands. This'll build your stamina.

Every month, do a bench mark where you go max reps at body weight.

Since it never hurts, every so often switch up how you do pull-ups: Bar, Rings, Wall, Swivel bar, etc.

This should leave you plenty of time to work in other areas of fitness.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #26
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Hi everybody! I'm 18-years old and my name is Joshua Paul. I am thinking about a goal to do 100 PROPER TECHNIQUE (Athletic Fitness) pull ups in a row, without letting go of the bar and without my feet touching the ground.

Currently I can do about 15 correct pull ups with a wide grip. I work out my back 1-2 times a week and I do pull-ups, lat pull downs, single arm rows and/or t-bar rows. I would like some help and suggestions - should I continue the way I do at the moment, what should I change etc

My thoughts:

* Should I give up all exercises that work the back besides pull-ups?
* Should I work out other muscles as well (feet, chest, triceps etc?) or should I minimize the frequency of these workouts?

Any good videos are more than recommended - I did not find one person who has a similar goal. And I am not talking about kipping pull-ups.

I understand that to achieve 100 pull-ups, my body weight has to be minimal. But what would be the best weight ratio for doing that? Currently I am about 75 kg, my fat % is about 8-9 and I am on my mass period.

I also understand that this goal takes a lot of time to get there. But I am pretty motivated. I am thinking about 3-5 years to get there. Is this too much or too little?

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME!
Definitely work out the feet muscles.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #27
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
I agree, powerful feet are key when working on max pull ups.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #28
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLIDX...eature=related

Apparently this is the record without letting go off the bar. 232 reps in 36 minutes.

It is worth noting that his reps weren't very strict, legs were swinging. In fact not even his first 20 looked THAT strict. But... the dude stayed on a bar for 36 minutes and that by itself impresses the HELL out of me, wow, talk about grip endurance. How can he REST while 1-arm hanging after a set of pull-ups? I gotta work on my grip. Impressive feat of course. I still say nobody is getting 100 consecutive pull-ups in the strict fashion described in the OP's video. Why have I not seen one youtube video of even 50 done that way?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #29
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Please come visit me. PLEASE.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #30
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
I understand that there is nobody who can give me actual advise in here?
It's just because you are asking the wrong people.

Try: http://www.extremepullups.com/forum/ (WFS)