CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Bloody torn hands and bloody barbells at Regionals makes CF look dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Is it that much different than the crushing hits that espn shows over and over in their football coverage?
Not the best example, because ESPN has been taking heat for that stuff lately given all the media coverage of concussions and long-term brain damage tied to helmet to helmet hits. I'm pretty sure those segments glorifying dangerous or illegal hits have been cancelled.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #22
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Is it that much different than the crushing hits that espn shows over and over in their football coverage?
Well one of the objects of football is to hit the guy with the ball to prevent him from getting any more yards.

One of the objectives of Crossfit is not to tear your hands to pieces.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #23
Jason Wallis

Profile:

I agree that it's not a true apples to apples comparison, the point is that we tend to glorify the extreme in sports. Baseball players running into a wall at full speed, football players knocking the helmet off of an opposing player, etc. While not part of the game, it's still part of the game.
For the record, I agree that striving for torn hands and bloody shins makes you an idiot. Denying that it's going to happen occasionally does the same.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #24
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
I agree that it's not a true apples to apples comparison, the point is that we tend to glorify the extreme in sports. Baseball players running into a wall at full speed, football players knocking the helmet off of an opposing player, etc. While not part of the game, it's still part of the game.
For the record, I agree that striving for torn hands and bloody shins makes you an idiot. Denying that it's going to happen occasionally does the same.
I don't think anyone denied that it's something that happens, what's being said is that it's stupid to glorify it's happening, and ill advised to pretend it won't and not take any precautions to try to prevent it.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #25
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Seems more analogous to cauliflower ear in wrestling/mma. They look terrible and are not the least bit appealing. But there are some folks out there that equate disfigurement with badassery. It is what it is.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #26
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
Seems more analogous to cauliflower ear in wrestling/mma. They look terrible and are not the least bit appealing. But there are some folks out there that equate disfigurement with badassery. It is what it is.
that's an excellent analogy
Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #27
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Actually I know one dude who's a fighter who was pumped when he got his, it was a sign of being a legit mma fighter, and not a "poser" or "weekend warrior" who didn't actually fight. Different strokes I guess.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #28
Pär Larsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
I don't think anyone denied that it's something that happens, what's being said is that it's stupid to glorify it's happening, and ill advised to pretend it won't and not take any precautions to try to prevent it.
Amen to that.

Quote:
Agreed. I'm sure most CFers on facebook have seen that a few times. People are proud of it sometimes. After a decade and half of military stuff, blisters and blood is no longer cool - it's just a waste of time unless there was a legit need or unavoidable. But I can definitely see how it would be an empowering "Red Badge Of Courage" to some people, say a girl who's never done much pullups in her life and always been encouraged NOT to develop upper body strength or do anything that'll get her dirty or bruised up, i.e. a traditional female role upbringing.

Situation A:
It's your first time at Regionals or doing any serious CF competition at the edge of your performance envelope. You're dying to set some PRs and help your team and there's money on the line. You rip your hands. Oh well, no big deal. Learn and move on.
Situation B:
You're an old hand and know full well that heavy deadlifts for time, chest-to-bars, heavy KB swings and similar will put a disproportionate risk on your hands. You say "f*** it, let's go", rip your hands, take some pictures and show your friends. That's just kind of dumb. Those of your friends who think that's hardcore and badass will now have a more favorable view of CF. The rest now think it's a cult and the TV camera people and reporters and all the critics now have more drama ammunition.
All I'm saying is know what you're doing, how it's gonna affect you, protect yourself and if you make a mistake, oh well. Learn and move on. (Rumour has it they've changed the rules now and will let people use light gloves, which if true is more evidence for my theory that CFHQ is actually pretty smart people.)

Either that or just keep mutilating yourself, I guess. I was tested on, and trained heavily for max deadhang pullups multiple times per year on average over more than a decade in the Navy, for various special programs and did a fair amount of rockclimbing. I think I may have ripped my hands once or twice in that time.

Maybe I'm just not badass enough.

Last edited by Pär Larsson : 06-02-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #29
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pär Larsson View Post
Either that or just keep mutilating yourself, I guess. I was tested on, and trained heavily for max deadhang pullups multiple times per year on average over more than a decade in the Navy, for various special programs and did a fair amount of rockclimbing. I think I may have ripped my hands once or twice in that time.

Maybe I'm just not badass enough.
I put it in the same category as puking: it happens, but it's nothing to be proud of or seek out.

Katherine
Old 06-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #30
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

I thought I heard somewhere that some boxers pride themselves on having a pretty face. Means they don't get hit.

Getting injured when pushing yourself hard for the first time is proof of finding your limit. It happens and there can be a little pride in getting there but deep down I think most people realize that it sucks. Once you know where the limit is it's foolish to go there again without good reason IMO.