CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
Valarie Wright

Profile:
Re: Bloody torn hands and bloody barbells at Regionals makes CF look dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pär Larsson View Post
Mad respect to those who are competing at Regionals. I don't know if the athletes were allowed gloves/tape/palm protectors or not. /snip/ This crap with people tearing their hands apart in the name of fitness is just dumb and counterproductive. Tape your hands. Or wear gloves or those gymnastics palm protector dealies for the real challenging pullup/heavy deadlift competitions. For training just adjust your grip.
Excellent post .. and great link to the Games (not something Ive seen yet). Thank you Pär!

Im not sure about wearing my gloves .. yet. I have them, and I am new so still using the light weights, but Im thinking I should start wearing them now .. to get in the habit.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
Pär Larsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarie Wright View Post
Excellent post .. and great link to the Games (not something Ive seen yet). Thank you Pär!

Im not sure about wearing my gloves .. yet. I have them, and I am new so still using the light weights, but Im thinking I should start wearing them now .. to get in the habit.
I wouldn't start off using gloves. You can adjust your grip and learn how to do things without injuring yourself. Go rockclimbing. Hang from a bar with just your fingers. Pay super close attention to the way you grip a barbell or pullup bar.

Gloves and tape and protection is for serious competition or when you're trying to kill people/people try to kill you.

I had no idea there was money on the line at Regionals. Good point, skullface guy.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Chris Walls

Profile:

There are instructions out there on how to make gymnastic grips out of tape, they are good for several workouts, quick and easy to make before the WOD, don't interfere with anything and are low profile. They've saved my hand many times, and allowed me to continue training after unexpected rips.

I don't like gloves for the same reason I don't like bar pads for squats.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
Nate Peo

Profile:

why wouldn't you want to wear gloves...doing 100 pull ups is a pretty good chance you will tear, and you still have 100 kbs and 0hs to do...

torn hands is a disadvantage...not to mention there is still another day of competition.

too much emphasis is placed on torn hands...
Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Whatever.
Par. Did you read/view the rules regarding equipment. The answers to your questions are there.
I agree about the health issues - I'm one of the biggest proponents of bar/barbell/equipment cleaning at my box.
Last year at Sectionals, and the year before that at Regionals, I was a judge. If my memory serves, and I am sure it does, whenever there was a competitor who'd bled on equipment a judge would call over one of te many volunteers, who would immediately clean up the equipment with disinfectant.
People go hard. They are trying to win. If you fall, get up, and keep going. Same can be said for some tears on your hands - push through and deal with it later.
The stakes are at an all time high now since Reebok has ponied up so much prize money.
It's it, and that's that.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #16
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Sean. It's a fact of competition at the levels we're seeing now. Don't get me wrong, I preach hand care relentlessly at my box. Even well conditioned, experience CFers get a tear every so often. I certainly frown upon glamorizing it and every first tear gets a free talk on recovery and prevention. Hell its part of our on ramp.

That being said...I've judged at sectionals, local competitions, the Arnold games and will be at our regionals next weekend. I fully expect to see tears, just like I'd expect injuries at any other competitive sporting event.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
Sean Dunston

Profile:

See you there, Casey.
Just got word, the rules have changed regarding gloves. Y'all may see some changes for this weekend.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 05-31-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Looking forward to it; always good to meet someone from here.

I saw that email a few minutes ago. Thin gloves, nothing sticky. I like the responsiveness, regardless of the philosophy of gloves.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #19
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

I definitely agree with Par that it shouldn't be glorified. It does make us look like morons when we have a bunch of pictures of torn up, bloody hands all over the Games site and other public sites.

But, I'm definitely in agreement with Sean and Casey, it happens; people push themselves to the limit during these competitions. It's a shame that CrossFit won't allow any grip enhancers/protection but, that's what the rules are, people are gonna work hard to win, bloody hands will be a result. And if it's like Sean said, the coming regionals could allow grip protection. If you don't see people taping up/using grips after that, then that's on the athlete, it's their choice if they don't want to tape up. But at some point, it becomes a disadvantage to have destroyed hands.

Bloody hands is one thing, that's going to happen but glorifying it is just dumb.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Is it that much different than the crushing hits that espn shows over and over in their football coverage?