CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Matthew Gogel

Profile:
Crossfit Games

I'm having trouble locating information on the 2010 crossfit games. I found a site that gives the dates for the games which also says there will be sectionals and regionals. However, I can't find any information on the dates of the sectionals or the place where they're being held that's closest to me.

Is there a sign up process? I crossfit in my basement and have never been to an affiliate...am I elligible to compete?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
John Rolfe

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Games

Yes and yes to your two questions. I dont know that the process is for the first as I ahve never done it.

I'm also wondering when the info for the sectionals/regionals are going to start to filter out.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Renee Lee

Profile:

besides that there will be a masters comp and the dates, no information has been released yet.

Keep an eye on the games website (games.crossfit.com) (sfw) for information.

as for registering. You're definitely eligible. Sectionals are new, but you will likely need to register online through the affiliate that is hosting the event.

I'd imagine info will start coming out after the new year, but that's just a guess
Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post

I'd imagine info will start coming out after the new year, but that's just a guess
I'm guessing it (the info) will come out sooner than that.
Last year the Regionals were in April, with the Games in July.
This year, with the addition of Sectionals, I would think they'd have to schedule them at least 2 months prior to the Regionals, to give athletes sufficient time to attempt to peak at the appropriate time, then give them enough time to recover and then peak again at the Regionals.

just my $.02

Keep your eye on the main site, the games site and the forum -- there'll be a sufficient ruckus once it is announced that you likely will not be able to miss it.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I'm guessing it (the info) will come out sooner than that.
Last year the Regionals were in April, with the Games in July.
This year, with the addition of Sectionals, I would think they'd have to schedule them at least 2 months prior to the Regionals, to give athletes sufficient time to attempt to peak at the appropriate time, then give them enough time to recover and then peak again at the Regionals.

just my $.02
I almost agree with you on the scheduling. Though the regionals were more in May than they were in April, weren't they? I'd think the Sectionals will be throughout March with a weekend either in feb or april, with the regionals the same time they were last year.

When i said "after the new year," i meant around the holiday season.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
I almost agree with you on the scheduling. Though the regionals were more in May than they were in April, weren't they? I'd think the Sectionals will be throughout March with a weekend either in feb or april, with the regionals the same time they were last year.

When i said "after the new year," i meant around the holiday season.
You're right.
I do think they stretched out (quite a bit) around the various regions, but I know the Mid-Atlantic Regionals were in April.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
You're right.
I do think they stretched out (quite a bit) around the various regions, but I know the Mid-Atlantic Regionals were in April.
I just know northeast was the last weekend of qualifiers and the right before meatfest

Basically, OP...when there's info to know, it will be plastered all over the boards with speculations and unfounded criticisms and excitement, etc. You won't be able to miss it

Last edited by Renee Lee : 11-04-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:

Last year they announced the regions, dates, locations, etc in December. With the addition of sectionals the info should be out soon.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

My guess is sectionals in March, regionals in May. I'm also hoping that there's a little more control over when they occur this year. One thing I really disliked about last year was the way the qualifiers were spread out over the course of 4 or 5 weeks, giving the winners of the early qualifiers up to an extra month to prepare. Ideally, I'd like to see them all on the same weekend and the events standardized. That way, everyone has to go through the same trials to get to Aromas, and everyone gets the same amount of time to prepare for each stage.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Chris-
While I totally understand where you're coming from on that, I think we all know that probably won't happen. I don't know how many "sections" will make up a region, but I would venture to guess that our Mid-Atlantic region (made up what, 70+ affiliates? and untold numbers of solos) would have up to 5 and maybe even more Sections.

Uniformity in WODs -- I'd really like to see that. It would be a nice barometer for all the various athletes to use to compare themselves against the other competitors. However, there was a lot of talk this year about how "great it was" to see all of the different WODs and letting the various regions be creative in making their own WODs for their competitors based on their own unique equipment and the surroundings at their disposal.