CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Tom Seryak

Profile:
Games Scoring

This may be a bit premature, but it looks like Miko will win. Khalipa scored 72 points in the run followed by an amazing 34 points for the last 7 events combined! Miko scored 2 points on the run followed by 76 points on the final 7 events. Does HQ really think the trail run is that important of an aspect of fitness to weight it that heavily? Or, is this an error in the scoring? I think they should have wiped the scoreboard clean after each cut. Not taking anything away from Miko or any of the competitors that even survived that onslaught, but I think these scoring issues will need to be ironed out before the competition gets any global television interest. Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
Re: Games Scoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Seryak View Post
This may be a bit premature, but it looks like Miko will win. Khalipa scored 72 points in the run followed by an amazing 34 points for the last 7 events combined! Miko scored 2 points on the run followed by 76 points on the final 7 events. Does HQ really think the trail run is that important of an aspect of fitness to weight it that heavily? Or, is this an error in the scoring? I think they should have wiped the scoreboard clean after each cut. Not taking anything away from Miko or any of the competitors that even survived that onslaught, but I think these scoring issues will need to be ironed out before the competition gets any global television interest. Thoughts?
I think the scoring represents broad domains. You can't be a sprinter and not do long distances as well... I am sure there are those that don't agree, and initially I thought it sucked, but now I think its an amazing approach!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Kellerman View Post
I think the scoring represents broad domains. You can't be a sprinter and not do long distances as well... I am sure there are those that don't agree, and initially I thought it sucked, but now I think its an amazing approach!
right, but crossfit is all about intensity (power) and the run was the least intense (in terms of power output) of all the wods. then again, the deadlift was on the complete opposite side, so maybe it's just genious. just curious what others thought...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

I personally think that all the WODS this weekend were great from what I have read. But the way they did the scoring messed it all up. The events on Sunday were around 1/4 the weight (score wise) than on Saturday. Someone placing last on saturday meant they got 70+ points... getting last on Sunday only 16. So starting off today.. the guys with over 100 points couldn't even beat the #1 guy if he lost every event.

They should have re-ranked them on Sunday and only ranked them according to the final 16. This would have eleminated the heavily weighted Saturday WODS and made every wod EQUAL. Why should a WOD from saturday weigh more than the one on Sunday?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Mikko also picked up 17 points on the deadlift WOD, putting him behind 16 guys who got 1 pt, because he missed the final lift of 20. (Which would have been a PR for him I believe).

I think Khalipa's run score was unfortunate and probably not representative of his running ability judging from his awesome performances in last year's hill run and the sandbag sprint this year, but there you go. The fact that he was able to come back so much of the way tells you a lot about how awesome he is. However, you can't argue that the run was unfairly punitive in light of how Speal dropped in the rankings from the run to the deadlift, say.

The biggest issue with the scoring is that the Day 2 events weren't as punitive to lower-placed competitors as the Day 1 events because there were simply less competitors. Then again, most competitors never made it to Day 2. It would have been pretty easy to smooth this out, although it would probably have introduced scores to decimal places, and it's a little disappointing that no-one in HQ figured this out in advance, for all the talk of science.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Ah, I do agree about the Sunday scores... forgot about that.

They should have started with 1-16 points on Sunday so that Saturday counted, but not a TON (not zero, that would have not benefited those who were 1 verses 16) IMO.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Kellerman View Post
Ah, I do agree about the Sunday scores... forgot about that.

They should have started with 1-16 points on Sunday so that Saturday counted, but not a TON (not zero, that would have not benefited those who were 1 verses 16) IMO.
Agreed. I have read ideas of starting off fresh with everyone at 0. I dont think this is a good idea couse it doesn't include the hard work that some of those guys did to get ahead on Saturday. Instead just re-rank them according to the final 16. In that case Jason would have won.. (ill have numbers after they post the scores for the final event.)
Old 07-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

I like the re-seeding approach, Karin. But then you'd have people *****ing about how their favorite athletes dominated on Day 1 but fell apart on Day 2. I like the idea that every WOD counts, and there were more of them on Day 1 so we shouldn't just toss those results away. If that were the case, you'd see things like athletes judiciously sitting out a WOD or two because they knew that mathematically they'd already made the cut for Day 2, so why kill themselves?

Each of them should have an equal weighting, I think. Keeps motivation for all WODs high, and ensures that as many domains and skills as possible are tested. All you have to do is multiply the scores of the Day 2 WODs by the factor of competitors on Day 1 to Day 2 (4.5x). So if you finish last on a Day 2 WOD, you pick up 72 points. (or was it 73? whatever

The only issue I can see with this is what to do with first place. Do you score them 4.5? or just 1, while the 2nd place person gets 9pts? Bit tricky.

Still, it seems less egregious than the way the scoring ended up. The gulf from 73 to 16 for last place is crazy.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

My comments on the games

The Bad:

They underestimated the athletes on the deadlift - 16 guys tied for first place. Add 10 more barbells, and nobody would finish the sequence, thus separating the contestants. Giving the lower score is a bad idea, since it actually gives the workouts different weights, as the total points given out for the workouts are different, even on day 1. There were no ties on the run (I presume) and more points given out (ie. it was more punishing overall), but a lot of ties on the deadlift (overall less punishing to competitors scores). Alternatively, they could have made the jumps smaller (more fatigue), or the final weight higher.

Secondly, eliminating 80% of the crowd and carrying on with the scoring as if they were never there is bound to screw things up. If they can't handle that big of a competitor line up, then they shouldn't have sent out that many invitations. I just don't think it's fair to some of the competitors who came from far away to be eliminated a quarter of the way into the games because their weaknesses came up first. Since when is the order of workouts important? Let everybody compete until the end, and then decide the winner.

Thirdly, it has become clear that, from a technological perspective, the organizers need to tweak things for next year. This whole twittering of results is kind of a downer, since video is so much more inspiring. Reading "What an incredible finish..." on twitter is very anti-climatic. Streamed video please? And listening to Crossfit Radio to get results is so...early 20th century.

The Good:

Fantastic athletes. Truly amazing performances, and very inspiring pictures. There will be a lot of arguments as to what we can learn from their strengths/weaknesses/training.

The Workouts: Very good/broad selection of workouts. Their is really nothing that was left unexplored.

The Scoring: I think HQ took a stab at trying to weigh the workouts equally unlike in 2008. It failed, but it was a good try. Other than tweaks to the current system, I really don't think a major overhaul is necessary for next year.

Twitter: It's fast, but I don't think HQ was even the fastest to get the results out.

Cheers.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
Each of them should have an equal weighting, I think. Keeps motivation for all WODs high, and ensures that as many domains and skills as possible are tested. All you have to do is multiply the scores of the Day 2 WODs by the factor of competitors on Day 1 to Day 2 (4.5x). So if you finish last on a Day 2 WOD, you pick up 72 points. (or was it 73? whatever
I wonder how that would change the results? Now that the final results are all in I guess i could try to recalculate them all... or wait for someone else too