CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Re: CF Games Info Now Up

I'm fired up. Going to post it up tomorrow in our gym and site - perfect timing!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Not that I've ever met any of them in person. But of all the various crossfit coaches, I think the ones from Texas are my favs: Tucker, that means you. I need to come to one of your certs.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Chapman View Post
Not that I've ever met any of them in person. But of all the various crossfit coaches, I think the ones from Texas are my favs: Tucker, that means you. I need to come to one of your certs.
many many thanks for the kind words...

pull up on me man! we will work ya to death!

tuck
Old 01-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #14
Shannon Mahoney

Profile:

So will the world wide qualifiers be the same workout? Or will each affiliate design the qualifying workout???????
Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 AM   #15
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina A. Burton View Post
Imagine being a guy in Canada West... only three guys make it... and you'd have to compete against the beasts of OPT, Brett Marshall and OPT's younger brother who is also AMAZING.
East Coast isn't any better Katrina. Just the 4 trainers I've met out here can kick major butt. And some of the folks I've read about in Ontario
Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
Eric Lester

Profile:

LOL wow, these qualifiers are going to be competitive. I may have to make a trip to Ohio just to watch.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
Fergus Lally

Profile:

anyone have an idea of how the amount of qualifying places are allocated per region?

2 spots for central and south american, for example, seems a bit unfair (given the sheer size of the area), to be honest it seems very weighted in favor of north america.

IMO a fairer way of deciding the amount of qualify places would be by dividing the amount of qualifying places by worldwide affiliates and therefore, for example, if the qualifying region has ten affiliates it gets 10x (whatever the amount of places per affiliate is). Therefore the more affiliates a region has, the more popular crossfit is in the region, and the more qualifying places it gets...

Again just a though as I think this current set up on first glance looks like it will leave a lot of very good non north american based athletes unable to qualify who may have qualified if they'd been based in north america...

again just a thought and it could be the case that the number of places are divided out in a similar fashion but it would be good to find out...

Last edited by Fergus Lally : 01-02-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
Dave Coughlin

Profile:

I'm all over the Jax quals for the SE region. Not that I'll do anything there, besides make the guy next to me look like a Fire-Breather.

At least my wife won't have to worry about me watching 15 hours of the NFL draft that weekend.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #19
Skip Miller

Profile:

Fergus,

That is exactly how the slots were allocated. The slots were divided up according to how many affiliates were in that region in August, 2008. We have 61 affiliates in the Rocky Mountain Region and we have a total of 10 slots, 5 men and 5 women. The 61 affiliates represents .06777 of all of the affiliates at that time. The 10 qualifying slots represents .06666 of all of the qualifying slots. The affiliate numbers have changed slightly since then, but it still roughly the same.

Considering that Central and South America only have 5 Affiliates, I think that 2 slots is more than fair.

Since North America has the vast majority of the CrossFit Affiliates, they got the majority of the qualifying slots. I was not privy to any of the decision making process, but that was how it was explained to me. I think it is a very fair system. As the CrossFit Movement spreads and becomes more global, the qualifying slots will become more global.

Skip
Front Range CrossFit Inc.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #20
Fergus Lally

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Miller View Post
Fergus,

That is exactly how the slots were allocated. The slots were divided up according to how many affiliates were in that region in August, 2008. We have 61 affiliates in the Rocky Mountain Region and we have a total of 10 slots, 5 men and 5 women. The 61 affiliates represents .06777 of all of the affiliates at that time. The 10 qualifying slots represents .06666 of all of the qualifying slots. The affiliate numbers have changed slightly since then, but it still roughly the same.

Considering that Central and South America only have 5 Affiliates, I think that 2 slots is more than fair.

Since North America has the vast majority of the CrossFit Affiliates, they got the majority of the qualifying slots. I was not privy to any of the decision making process, but that was how it was explained to me. I think it is a very fair system. As the CrossFit Movement spreads and becomes more global, the qualifying slots will become more global.

Skip
Front Range CrossFit Inc.
I was hoping it would be, that way the more it spreads the more spread in backgrounds.

Cheers for the clarification skip