CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 12-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Kevin Whitlow

Profile:
Austin, Texas crossfitters

New here and just starting into crossfit. Is there anyone in the Austin area that does the workouts outside of the affiliate gym at home
Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Peter Keller

Profile:
Re: Austin, Texas crossfitters

Welcome, Kevin. I Crossfit mostly at home (and around town, but on my own)- I have a pretty slick garage gym set-up. I also occasionally work out with Crossfit Central and Crossfit Austin.

Can I help you with anything?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Kevin Whitlow

Profile:

I am fairly new to the concept. Due to some budget reasons I have to watch not in the right time to go to one of the great Crossfit centers we have here. I am looking for someone that is accustomed and versed to help starting out.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Peter Keller

Profile:

Glad to help.

First, attend as many of the free sessions at the gyms as you can- you can pick up some great info and training gratis.

FYI, I know Crossfit Central is having a few free days the week after Christmas, and they do at least one free workout a month. Check their website for more info:
http://www.crossfitcentral.com/ WFS

Second, read as much as possible on these boards and of the Crossfit Journal (spring for a $25 yearly membership).

Third, do the workouts! Sub when needed, but watch your form. Form first, then up the intensity.

Fourth, join an affiliate to drastically reduce your "indoctrination" time to the movements. It can be looked at as expensive, but if you attend, it will be a great value for the $$.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Joseph Patrick

Profile:

I also workout at home...I still drop in over at crossfit central from time to time as they offer great,free workouts and monthly "under the bridge" workouts. The coaches there are top-notch and are willing to really help you out. I have been looking for other austin crossfitters that actually enjoy and stick around for future workouts..it seems that I have scared away all of the other workout partners that I had,with them telling me that my workouts were "torture" and not really what they were looking for. I'm in south austin ( william cannon/brodie) area. I went through lots of classes with those cc guys and decided to put the $150/mo towards my own home gym.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Kevin Whitlow

Profile:

Thanks for the advice Peter. Joseph that sounds great. I acyually live in bastrop so not to far from you. I am looking at equipment this weekend off craigs list to start doing the same. I have done a few crossfit workouts with some friends in the past, but have not had any real structure. I love tough workouts. I have always been a gym person and just gettting back into it. I laid off for a few months to train for a marathon which I just completed. If you are looking for someone to workout with you let me know. Always looking for new challenges in guidance in this new adventure.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Peter Keller

Profile:

Joseph-

A couple of trainers just opened "Crossfit Austin" near you:
http://www.crossfitaustin.net/
WFS

I suggest you check them out- and they offer a week free or $20/session drop-in.

I am all for building a home gym, but I also like to support the affiliates.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Just a second for the CrossFit Central folks. They have at least 1 (and sometimes 2 or 3) free workouts a month, if you just pay attention to the website ( crossfitcentral.com - wfs ).

I did the essentials program there, and then just did free workouts with them for a few months until I had enough money to sign up for classes. Now I do two classes a week there, while doing my own workouts at the gym on campus the other days of the week.

The coaches there are all awesome and dedicated. Great people to know.