CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #21
Alex Europa

Profile:
Re: CF Games 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I'm excited. I'm worlds away from being able to compete with you fire breathers but just following the athletes, the ramp up, and the competitions should be a lot of fun.

Now they said no scaling, but if people show up just to be spectators will they still be able to non-competitively (oxymoron with crossfit?) do the workouts, as in games past? That was how it worked, right? Couldn't anyone that showed up try their hand at the workouts?
David, no. Spectators weren't able to attempt the workouts (for logistical reasons). I believe they had other workouts (like the 1K row challenge) that spectators could compete in, but that's it.

As for the 2009 Games, it sounds like athletes will not have the option to sign up as competitors at all unless they have proven the ability to compete at the Rx'd level. Again, this is most likely for logistical reasons; yes it's great that in the past they've been able to accomodate other athletes, but in order to get a deeper/more competitve talent pool, they seem to be requiring all competitors to be able to complete all the workouts as Rx'd.

I, too, am a little concerned about the qualifying process because I'm stationed overseas. I should be transferring sometime in June, and as such would be able to make it to the Games. But with the qualifiers in May, I'll have to try to take leave in the month before I transfer - not exactly an easy feat. Hopefully, there will be something closer to my neck of the woods. Hell, maybe an Australian qualifier would work!

- Alex
Old 10-01-2008, 03:03 AM   #22
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Blankenship View Post
Does anybody know how they are going to balance out the extremely competitive areas with others that are not quite so.
Good question mate. Id like to know that to. In scotland we only hae 3 affiliates (none of which i train at).

Im not sure if there are any on main land Europe, but i do know a couple of guys here would be very good competitors.

Ricky
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #23
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Blankenship View Post
Does anybody know how they are going to balance out the extremely competitive areas with others that are not quite so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
Good question mate. Id like to know that to. In scotland we only hae 3 affiliates (none of which i train at).

Im not sure if there are any on main land Europe, but i do know a couple of guys here would be very good competitors.

Ricky
I am hopeful that it is done much like the Games themselves.

Once the WODs are determined for the Qualifiers, if it is a strength or timed WOD, then a certain benchmark could be set - those that meet or beat it qualify, those that don't, don't.

This could "work" regardless of how deep or shallow the talent pool is at each location. For instance... if one of the WODs is 21-15-9 Thrusters @ 95#/65# and Chest to Bar Pull Ups, then HQ would be able to determine, based on all reported times, the benchmark time based on how many participants they could "accept" for the 2009 Games. Those that met it would qualify, those that went longer or DNF, would not qualify. This could be expanded to have an aggregate time/score for multiple WODs - just like the 2008 games did in ranking the athletes.

My $0.02
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #24
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Sean, I said the same thing to Tony and he replied they are still working out the details.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #25
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
Sean, I said the same thing to Tony and he replied they are still working out the details.
Cool-
I am eager to learn when the details become available.

The above post was just my 2 cents - postulating on a possible route to "fairness" to all would-be competitors in any location they choose to attend for qualification purposes... but I obviously just applied the methodology CFHQ used during the 2008 Games to rank the athletes.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #26
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

While there is a very heavy chance I won't make it to the games, I'll be looking forward toward the qualifier as my goal till then. It is still something for me to strive for. If I can do a decent showing there, I will be happy enough, methinks. Especially if my results are far better than at the games. No, please don't look them up as I tanked.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #27
Brian Castillo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
While there is a very heavy chance I won't make it to the games, I'll be looking forward toward the qualifier as my goal till then. It is still something for me to strive for. If I can do a decent showing there, I will be happy enough, methinks. Especially if my results are far better than at the games. No, please don't look them up as I tanked.
As far as I'm concerned, you showed up, participated, did the best you could at that given time, you did anything but tank.

I too am looking forward to at least take part in the qualifying. I know where I stand in the group that I workout with (please see workout logs "FDAZ" and "Lebowski Urban Achievers"). I would say I'm middle of the pack, so it would/will be interesting to see where I stand in my city, state, region.

After all.."Competition motivates training better than vanity or a desire for fitness. Enter a meet. That's how I did it."--Rip

Brian Castillo
ViVa La Deviance
Old 10-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #28
Stuart Buck

Profile:

I've got a great idea for the Crossfit 2009 Games: How about adding a posing component? I.e., posing in swimwear. Because let's face it, aesthetics are important. People around here are constantly admiring the physiques of Crossfit trainers, Crossfit competitors, people pictured on the main page or in videos, people who put up their before/after pictures, etc. In fact, I bet 95% of us wouldn't be working out if the biological effect of exercise was that people gained 100 pounds of bodyfat.

So how about it?

If it wasn't obvious:

Last edited by Stuart Buck : 10-03-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #29
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Sure...think of some yoga poses and I'm down for taking pictures of other people making an *** of themselves or otherwise...
Old 10-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #30
Mike Feliciani

Profile:

My idea for the 09 games would be to have the WOD's for a specific amount of time, then base the rankings on cumulative reps completed. I think it would be cool to see how well some people do when they have to maintain the intesity for a full 20 minutes or 10 minutes depending on the movements. The management of the events would be much easier as you would know the start and finish of every event.

You can go heavy and keep the reps down or go lighter and up the reps per round. Just think that would be interesting. You could incorporate a sprint circuit within the WOD's or as a stand alone.

Just a new angle.:stir:

Mike