CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 01-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Matt Walz

Profile:
Progress

I started Crossfit August 2007 and cannot believe how far I have come since then.

When I began I had plateaued in almost everything. I weighed in at 189 lbs at 5'10", could only do 8 pull-ups, bench 200lbs, deadlift 220lbs, back squat 250 lbs, do 35 pushups and at best 35 air squats in a single set.

I now weigh 163 lbs, can do 25 strict pull-ups in a row, bench 240 lbs despite a decrease in body weight, deadlift 340 lbs, back squat 395 lbs, do 60 push-ups and around 80 squats in a single set.

Crossfit has been a lifesaver and has me in the best shape of my life.

I attached some before and after photos with dates and hope that they can encourage anyone new at crossfit to put in the effort. It's more than worth it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mainprogress_small.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1175  
Old 01-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Matt Walz

Profile:
Re: Progress

Guess the dates weren't on there. First pic is Aug 5/07, second is Sept 20/07, and third is Dec 30/07.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Annlee Hines

Profile:

Very nice, Matt!!

A couple of questions, if you're willing to share (or even if you're not - I'll ask; you just don't have to answer )

1/ Have you done only the WODs or a mixture of the WODs and something else (like SS)?

2/ Have you done anything in particular with diet (like switching to Zone or Paleo from something else)?

Thanks much - I'm collecting info for a reason
Old 01-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Elizabeth Young

Profile:

Awesome progress! Keep up the good work.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Matt Walz

Profile:

Annlee,

I have done almost exclusively the WOD's but also run about once a week solo for 5k and two or three more times anywhere from 2-5k with my wife. She's only 5'2" so the pace is slower, but I'm still burning the calories.

I have always eaten fairly healthy (ie: no chocolate bars, chips, deep friend foods, lots of fruit and veggies and lean meats), but I was the king of processed carbs. I started a diet that was meant to address that and build muscle.

The diet called the cycle diet and I started it around the time that the second picture comes into play. In it's full form it is for people who want to pack on muscle, so a lot of body builders use it. I wanted more lean muscle so I had to play with it a little. The diet essentially involves eating max protein (healthy protein, not a bacon binge), low processed carbs, healthy fats and that sort of thing every 2-3 hours throughout the day. It also involves a cheat day once a week wherein you pack on the calories to bring your glycogen stores back up so that you can keep building muscle without your body eating away at it.

I posted my daily menu a while back in the nutrition section of the forum if you want to know more:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ght=cycle+diet

Hope that helps!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Jake Oleander

Profile:

25 strict pull ups and 2.5x bodyweight squat in 6 months from what you were at, very impressive results. good job.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 AM   #7
Annlee Hines

Profile:

Thanks, Matt - big help. And wow ... that's just great progress.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Great job - and great progress!

I am just wondering one thing about the differential between your BS and DL weights.

Don't take this the wrong way, because I think you are pulling tremendous numbers - I am just curious as to why your Squat has consistently been a heavier than your Deadlift.

I had always thought that for the "average" person (not a powerlifter or someone who specializes in one type of lift) the Deadlift would be significantly heavier than the squat.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
Matt Walz

Profile:

I have wondered the same about my deadlifts/squat ratio. I recently had a lifting guru friend of mine go through back squat and deadlifts with me and before we got started he told me the likely culprit would be one of two things: 1)I was cheating my squats a bit and therefore no getting a true 1RM 2)My form for my deadlift is poor, preventing me from having a higher 1RM

Turns out the issue is poor deadlift form: I tend to want to lift a bit too much with my back at heavier weights by letting the bar pull me forward off balance at the start of the lift. I've been working on the form with lighter weights for a few days now, so hopefully I'll be able to get the deadlift up where it should be within a week or two.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Ahh - okay.
I was wondering if maybe it was a grip issue.

After my standard warm-up, all I did on Saturday was max effort deadlifts (then I stuck around at my Affiliate to help load and unload bars for other CFers) and the muscles that control my grip in both hands were sore until yesterday afternoon.

Good luck getting that form worked out!

Last edited by Sean Dunston; 01-02-2008 at 03:37 PM..