CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Alex Henry

Profile:
Thumbs up Rotator Cuff Surgery: THE WHOLE STORY

Hello Crossfitters,
Recently I had rotator cuff surgery and am now 6 weeks in. Though there are posts and threads regarding the surgery, there was no comprehensive description from A to Z about everything surrounding rotator cuff surgery and what Crossfit exercises and workouts can be done afterward. So, I decided to pull all the information together. It's a bit lengthy, but humorous and informative. I will be adding some pictures shortly. Please visit http://www.strictlyusa.com/rotator_c...ex_092013.html
to read about my experiences thus far. There are many tips and hints for those of you who may need surgical intervention. Happy reading.

Like all of you, I love Crossfit and can't wait to WOD again.
--Best. Alex from Denver, CO
Old 10-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Zach Long

Profile:
Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery: THE WHOLE STORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Henry View Post
Hello Crossfitters,
Recently I had rotator cuff surgery and am now 6 weeks in. Though there are posts and threads regarding the surgery, there was no comprehensive description from A to Z about everything surrounding rotator cuff surgery and what Crossfit exercises and workouts can be done afterward. So, I decided to pull all the information together. It's a bit lengthy, but humorous and informative. I will be adding some pictures shortly. Please visit http://www.strictlyusa.com/rotator_c...ex_092013.html
to read about my experiences thus far. There are many tips and hints for those of you who may need surgical intervention. Happy reading.

Like all of you, I love Crossfit and can't wait to WOD again.
--Best. Alex from Denver, CO
Nice write up. You are absolutely right about the Yankz laces. I recommend them to my pts post shoulder surgery

Good luck with your rehab
Old 10-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Amber Werts

Profile:

Wish I would have had this before my plication and RC repair. I am 5 weeks out I think (time just runs together) I have been in PT for 2 weeks now. I have my good days and my BAD days! I have pain some days after PT worse than others. I have been told it is very hard to tear the sutures and stuff, but I always worry. I do NOT do more than I should because my muscles say no no no even if I think about something... I hope this is all normal. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to hear people tell me, "well I hope they fixed it because so and so has more issues now than before surgery." How annoying!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Keep staying positive mate. I had rotator surgery 2 years ago, 4 anchors, 12 month rehab, and now I'm back stronger than ever, doing everything including muscleups 100%, and competing in local affiliate comps. Its amazing how well the body heals with sound rehab.

Search for 'My SLAP Journey' on this board if you wanna read my story. It covers my pre surgery time all the way through until 12 months post op.

Good luck and stay positive!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Peter O'Donnell

Profile:

Alex , I know how you feel. I am 7 weeks post op on rotator cuff surgery as well as having bone spurs and arthritis clean out. This is my second rotator cuff surgery in two years. I tore the right one first and am now recovering for the second (left). So, unfortunately I am way too experienced. Like you I am 49 and had come to love cross fit which I took up a year ago. I was also interested in this years open and have time's that would put me solidly in the top 40.
Some issues. No two surgeries are alike. My first , like yours was so painful in recovery that I was on the oxy for almost two months. This second almost exact surgery I experienced close to zero pain and was off meds by the second day.
Don't over do it with your good arm. You have to remember that at our age there is a good chance that the other cuff is pretty beat up as well and by overuse of that shoulder/arm you may be right back with a new surgery next year. I can tell you that after fully recovering from a cuff tear and feeling great the news that my other cuff was torn was devastating. Be careful , get better, listen to your Dr. and PT. GOOD LUCK . Pete
Old 05-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Peter O'Donnell

Profile:

Alex , How is the recovery going. I am 15 weeks post surgery on my second shoulder. Can't stress enough to people to just sit back and listen to the Doc's and PT'S . DO NOT TRY TO MAINTAIN CARDIO OR ANYTHING ELSE. You'll be out 6wks or 6mos with a lot of regret for not letting that tendon heal properly. Face reality you can get everything back in due time. getting healthy is the no.1 priority.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Alastair Bland

Profile:

Hi Alex - I just came across your post. I have been doing CF workouts for several years and have been athletic (rock climbing, pullups, pushups, cycling) all my life. (I am 35.) I have developed a bad right shoulder in the past year and may need subscapularis surgery, so I've been following this Crossfit board for several months. I'm impressed by the physio knowledge to be found here, and I'm impressed by your optimism.

But can you tell us how the recovery has gone?
Thanks.
AB