CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Steve Baunach

Profile:
Knee replacements

I'm fit, work out regularly, and would love to start cross fit but have bi-lateral knee replacements. Looking at the exercises there are certainly some I can't do. Is there anyone out there in this situation or anyone who has advise on Cross Fit and replacements? Thanks, Steve
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Bill Robertson

Profile:
Re: Knee replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Baunach View Post
I'm fit, work out regularly, and would love to start cross fit but have bi-lateral knee replacements. Looking at the exercises there are certainly some I can't do. Is there anyone out there in this situation or anyone who has advise on Cross Fit and replacements? Thanks, Steve
I only have one knee replacement, I don't run or jump, I do split snatches and cleans, most everything else I can do without problems. I cant squat quite as low as I used to be able to, but still can go below parallel, even can do pistols with my knee perlacement, but I don't do them often because I think it puts too much strain on the joint.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Pat Quigley

Profile:

Interesting thoughts. I don't have replacements (yet!). I periodically get synvisc injects ---more often in left knee since I had surgery in 2004. My knees don't take kindly to ballistic type movements: jump rope (esp. attempts at double unders), running on pavement, the jumping part of burpees, etc. I quit a local affiliate because the chief trainer couldn't understand that this was not a limitation due to lack of training, but irreversible joint limits. BTW, I developed a few hammer toes and needed an additional round of synvisc injections to recover. .

So I modify the workouts to avoid ballistic injury to my joints. If you want to call this "scaling" then so be it.

So consider the following substitutes or "scales":

squats for double unders, rows for running, trot on treadmill for running. Track the damper levels on the rower and speed levels on the treadmill. This will give you a chance to see your own progression. I took a WOD from the main site for a 10K run and did a 10K row instead.

Just as there are Olympics, Para-Olympics, Special Olympics, and Senior Olympics, the same distinctions need to evolve for crossfit. Either injury, disability, or aging will make comparisons to performance of those without any of the aforementioned conditions worthless.

Hope this helps. Perhaps this could be called "Evolutionary Crossfit" Same principles, just some modification for morphological changes in the body (that includes of course, the brain).:stir:
Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Skip Chase

Profile:

I am 57 and bw is 160.

I had a TKR (I requested a rotational platform prosthesis to I would hopefully have a greater ROM) on my left knee in October 2008. Unfortunately, I am one of only 5% who developed arthrofibrosis and have experienced a slow recovery. PT was not working and I turned exclusively to CF training in March and since then I have had marked improvement. My PT is one of our clients and we both agreed it was time to let CrossFit take over!

I don't run, but I row, jump rope on a mat and everything else is CrossFit. I am slowly building strength. New (starting over, and every lift is a new PR) on Front, back and overhead squats. I do box jump on mats so I have a cushioned platform. I am back up to 24". (prior to surgery I was at 49"-I will get there again!)

Deadlift is back up to 345 at a BW of 160. Deadlifts are going well. (was 405)

Everything else is progressing well. Burpees I don't perform the jump at the end of the rep. I did Cindy a few weeks ago and did 24 rounds and was able to do my squats do a dynamax ball.

The current goal is to prepare for the THR on the right. I've already had shots, to include synvex, to no avail. I'm bone to bone patella/femur. I will probably have the right replaced in August or September.

After that, it's back to CrossFit as fast as possible.

Most people experience major surgery and 'fall backwards' fast with no hope for getting back at it. CrossFit taught me, nothing will keep me on my ***!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Chase View Post
I am 57 and bw is 160.

I had a TKR (I requested a rotational platform prosthesis to I would hopefully have a greater ROM) on my left knee in October 2008. Unfortunately, I am one of only 5% who developed arthrofibrosis and have experienced a slow recovery. PT was not working and I turned exclusively to CF training in March and since then I have had marked improvement. My PT is one of our clients and we both agreed it was time to let CrossFit take over!

I don't run, but I row, jump rope on a mat and everything else is CrossFit. I am slowly building strength. New (starting over, and every lift is a new PR) on Front, back and overhead squats. I do box jump on mats so I have a cushioned platform. I am back up to 24". (prior to surgery I was at 49"-I will get there again!)

Deadlift is back up to 345 at a BW of 160. Deadlifts are going well. (was 405)

Everything else is progressing well. Burpees I don't perform the jump at the end of the rep. I did Cindy a few weeks ago and did 24 rounds and was able to do my squats do a dynamax ball.

The current goal is to prepare for the THR on the right. I've already had shots, to include synvex, to no avail. I'm bone to bone patella/femur. I will probably have the right replaced in August or September.

After that, it's back to CrossFit as fast as possible.

Most people experience major surgery and 'fall backwards' fast with no hope for getting back at it. CrossFit taught me, nothing will keep me on my ***!!!
Thread hijack... skip.... did you look in to the stone clinic? I called you and left a message about this orthopedic surgeon.. very ahead of the times.. ie doing stem cells. kelly starrett used to work for him. I am seeing him for my shoulder.
wfs. www.stoneclinic.com
Old 07-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Pat Quigley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Thread hijack... skip.... did you look in to the stone clinic? I called you and left a message about this orthopedic surgeon.. very ahead of the times.. ie doing stem cells. kelly starrett used to work for him. I am seeing him for my shoulder.
wfs. www.stoneclinic.com
would you care to share your experience at the clinic? Cause for referral? Outcome? How many banks did you have to rob to pay up front?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Quigley View Post
would you care to share your experience at the clinic? Cause for referral? Outcome? How many banks did you have to rob to pay up front?
experience.. top shelf.. custom service driven. The clinic has astonishing number of signed photos from pro athletes.

cause.. blown shoulder. Dr stone does over a hundred shoulders surgeries a year.

banks.. none...shedding tears at the thought of blue cross doing a pay back at medi care rates.