CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Ken Patterson

Profile:
Question Regular 3/1 WOD vs 5/2 Schedule

Quick question. Only been doing CF for a couple of weeks so still learning the complete methodology. I'm sure there is a solid reason for the 3 on 1 off schedule but have yet to read anything on that specifically. I was curious if there would be a problem with doing a 5 on 2 off schedule. Basically working out Monday - Friday and taking Saturday and Sunday off. I know that this would take a good nutritional foundation and adequate sleep for recovery. But, will changing the schedule potentially affect the basis of how CF is designed? Thanks in advance for the info. Have a good one.

Ken
Old 04-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Regular 3/1 WOD vs 5/2 Schedule

From the cert I just went to: the 3/1 allows the highest intensity with rest, versus the 5/2 where your intensity in the last two days will be less, rather than having a rest day for recovery. - Tony Budding
Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

5/2 is more convienent for some (I did Mon-Fri then Sat-Sun off for a while and it was good). 3/1 as George explained already has a higher intensity.

3/1/2/1 can also work if you want/need to be on a weekly schedule. Really though it depends on how everything works out... but generally the highest frequency without underrecovery or overuse the better.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Be in touch with how you are feeling. If you are starting out, 5/2 may be a bit much. I like Steven's idea of 3/1 2/1. I'm just coming off a 5/2 week. It's a lot to recover from. At first, I ended up underrecovering. You'll know if that happens. You don't have the progress that you should, and/or you feel fatigued.
Make sure you diet and rest are optimal.
Good luck.