CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
OK, ya I had to stick that laughing smily up there, cuz never in my years of lifting have I ever screwed up my hands like this:

3 sets of 12 and 5 tears later...

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/42353.jpg

Taped 'em up and finished a mediocre workout - ya never know how much you'll miss the skin on your hands until there isn't any there!

AND, HOLY BAT BALLS BATMAN!!!! WHO EVER SAID SOAKING TORN CALLOUSES IN SALT WATER IS A FRICKIN MASCOCIST! I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA GO INTO SHOCK. I almost :crybaby0: like a baby!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:25 AM   #2
Cal Jones

Profile:
Ouch! Was this from deadlifts?
I've been doing Crossfit two months now and first time I did the CFT, I neglected to remove the ring I wear and tore the neighbouring callus clean off on the final deadlift, so I know how much it hurt.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Veronica, I feel your pain!! Last Friday I went to a Heavy Event workshop and lost the skin on 3 fingers ... competed Saturday morning with the help of some athletic tape. Ouch!!

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/42368.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/42369.jpg
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Holy crap, I feel like a pu$$y now when I look back at my ONE mid hand rip that I moaned about for 2 days! You guys are maniacs!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Yeah and the best was I finally was initiated the other day into this club w a workout consisting of KB swings, knees to elbows, pushups and pullups!! Then imagine the look on the face of the manicurist when I went to get my nails done. She kinda didnt want to cut the skin off when I asked her!!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Cal, those were on pullups - I did them at my kids gymnastics school. I figured I'd get them before classes started so I didn't disturb them. Their bars are a lot rougher than bars on "regular" pullup bars and I didn't bother chalking up because, well I never do. OUCH is right.

The pics actually don't look as bad as when it first happened - a bit of blood and hanging skin. LOL This were taken after the initial torture of soaking in warm salt water - SON OF A GUN! The salt water soak hurt a bazillion times worse than the rips! It's a toss up as to which hurt more - this or childbirth!

Oh and Nick, hubby asked "Didn't you feel that? Why didn't you stop?" I felt the first one, stopped, and taped it. The others I just figured I'm already torn, I just want to finish.

Anthony - nice, very nice!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Connie Morreale

Profile:
note to self:

from now on do NOT eat lunch while looking at message board.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
Never tried the salt water, but I have used "New Skin." I imagine getting shot in the face with a bazooka can't hurt as bad as that stuff. What a horrible horrible product.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
Wayne Nelson

Profile:
Make the salt solution the saltness of like you would like chicken soup and it will feel almost painfree. I always thought saline solutions were used to clean wounds. Why are you soaking?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:47 AM   #10
Cal Jones

Profile:
I used saline to clean my piercings when they were healing. It's good stuff. For hands and feet, though, surgical spirit is the best way to harden up your skin.
Mind you, as a spotty teen, I used surgical spirit to clean my face (well, it does get the dirt out!) - any beauty industry professional would probably have a heart attack at hearing that!