CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #21
Jan Lingen

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Pain Since November

@ Jayme,

I hope you feel better already. Still, here are my two cents. I think it is possible that the muscles which are mainly involved in your exercises got overstressed.

Although you underwent some massage sessions without success, I would like to encourage you to check some specific muscles yourself. Check if they contain any tight and/or tender tissue and if so, massage that yourself. I am talking about the following muscles. From what I have read about your exercises, you might have overworked those.

- Lats => Are very active during pulling (PU, MU) and help to keep your arm tight to your ribs (flys, MU)

- Teres major => adducts your arms. Is especially active when doing wide PU.

- Pectoralis maj. muscle => Supports your lat when pressing your arm against your body (flys and MU)

- Infraspinatus (rot. cuff muscle)=> Gets often overloaded with pull ups - although most people think it does only shoulder outward rotations -

- Subscapularis (rot.cuff muscle) => rotates and adducts your arm. When you have pain with flys and hangs from the rings, check this one. With flys it gets worked, with hangs it gets stretched. When it is too tight, this can be pretty painful and give your shoulder some pain. The same counts for the muscles listed above.

Check out my site for further instructions or ask me here. I am more than happy trying to help people that are in pain with what I know.

My intention in participating in this forum is to learn, share knowledge and to help others. In that way I would like to contribute.

Let me know how you are going.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
Alastair Bland

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Pain Since November

I'm sorry to hear about the injury. How have things progressed? You're fortunate in knowing, at least, what movements aggravate it. I have a chronic subscapularis issue that causes inflammation in the entire shoulder but without any obvious cause. That is, some days I can work out and have no ill effects. Other days, without even having worked out the day before, it will be burning mad, so that I need to ice it all day. It's been this way for a year. I've almost entirely quit working out, in fact.

Seems to me if you can do pullups, you're maintaining your core strength, which is great. Just don't push it, and don't do any exercises in which you don't have FULL and SMOOTH control over all motions and mechanics.

Good luck (if it isn't better already).