CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
Koa Meador-Levy

Profile:
Reebok Nano 4.0's

So I have never been a fan of anything to come from reebok. I found most of their clothing to be very cheaply made, and nearly all of their shoes to have the absolute worst colorways.

I have however own a pair of each Nano that has been released over the years. Usually given as gifts. I tend to wear them once or twice and then go back to my inov-8s that I have always maintained loyalty to.

HOWEVER! The new nano 4.0 to me is amazing! It feels almost like an inov8 F240. Its got less in the range of thickness in materials used. Especially in the toe box area. Its got great rigidity but still has a nice "pop" to the flex of it. I bought a using my GOVX discount on RoadRunnerSports this week and got them yesterday in the mail. (I got the blue and neon yellow ones)

went down in my garage and gave them a little beating with some atlas stone loads, some C&J's and some HSPU's. all in all they felt great on my feet.

easily a 9/10.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Chris Diamont

Profile:
Re: Reebok Nano 4.0's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa Meador-Levy View Post
So I have never been a fan of anything to come from reebok. I found most of their clothing to be very cheaply made, and nearly all of their shoes to have the absolute worst colorways.

I have however own a pair of each Nano that has been released over the years. Usually given as gifts. I tend to wear them once or twice and then go back to my inov-8s that I have always maintained loyalty to.

HOWEVER! The new nano 4.0 to me is amazing! It feels almost like an inov8 F240. Its got less in the range of thickness in materials used. Especially in the toe box area. Its got great rigidity but still has a nice "pop" to the flex of it. I bought a using my GOVX discount on RoadRunnerSports this week and got them yesterday in the mail. (I got the blue and neon yellow ones)

went down in my garage and gave them a little beating with some atlas stone loads, some C&J's and some HSPU's. all in all they felt great on my feet.

easily a 9/10.
How did you use your GOVX discount on road runner sports? I'm a GOVX member but I have never heard of using it on another site?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

I am not the biggest fan of the 4.0's. I have narrow feet except near my toes.. 2.0's still favorite.. 4.0's 2nd place, 3.0's in a distant 3rd.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Koa Meador-Levy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diamont View Post
How did you use your GOVX discount on road runner sports? I'm a GOVX member but I have never heard of using it on another site?
they recently pulled it temporarily on the 1st.

They did have a portal on the site. you click it and it went through to the site and would give you 20% off everything in stock on the site.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa Meador-Levy View Post
they recently pulled it temporarily on the 1st.

They did have a portal on the site. you click it and it went through to the site and would give you 20% off everything in stock on the site.
Thanks I will keep my eyes open! I eat up the Hylete discount!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
I am not the biggest fan of the 4.0's. I have narrow feet except near my toes.. 2.0's still favorite.. 4.0's 2nd place, 3.0's in a distant 3rd.
The 3's and 4's are the exact same shoe, just aesthetically different.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
Charles Watkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Not even a close assessment. I have 3 pairs of 2.0s 1 pair of 3.0s and 2 Pairs of 4.0s. The 4.0 is MUCH more sturdy and provides more stability for lateral movements and weightlifting. The 3.0 has the most flexible toe box of the 3 and very weak instep. I actually sent back a pair of 3.0s after I got my first pair of 4.0s. Wouldn't recommend any distance running in the 4.0s but the best shoe for crossfit by far
Old 08-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Nick Sisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Watkins View Post
Not even a close assessment. I have 3 pairs of 2.0s 1 pair of 3.0s and 2 Pairs of 4.0s. The 4.0 is MUCH more sturdy and provides more stability for lateral movements and weightlifting. The 3.0 has the most flexible toe box of the 3 and very weak instep. I actually sent back a pair of 3.0s after I got my first pair of 4.0s. Wouldn't recommend any distance running in the 4.0s but the best shoe for crossfit by far
Do you find the 4.0s to fit differently than the 3.0s? I have tried on a pair of size 12 and 13 in Men's 3.0s and am between the two. Reebok said they changed the fit of the 4.0s initially and then changed it back closer to the 3.0s.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Watkins View Post

Jayme, you thought along the same lines not too long ago.

Charles, hold the 2 shoes side by side and look at the outsole (the rubber on the bottom). It is the exact same outsole. While there may be some slight differences caused by the upper, there is no difference in the lower. I highly doubt they changed the durometer of the rubber mid-life cycle, that's pretty much unheard of in the industry. Reebok is on a 2 year life cycle at the moment with the outsoles for the Nano. Look at the 1 and 2, the 3 and 4. Should see a new tooling next year.

I will say that 2 pairs of shoes in sequential order off the factory line will feel slightly different. This is very common. Think of 2 cars/trucks off the line right after the other. One could have a gasket go bad, or spring a leak somewhere before the other even if driven the exact same.

I worked in the athlete footwear industry for 5 years, this is where I am pulling this from btw. And no, I don't mean at Foot Locker or in a selling enviroment.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post

Jayme, you thought along the same lines not too long ago.

Charles, hold the 2 shoes side by side and look at the outsole (the rubber on the bottom). It is the exact same outsole. While there may be some slight differences caused by the upper, there is no difference in the lower. I highly doubt they changed the durometer of the rubber mid-life cycle, that's pretty much unheard of in the industry. Reebok is on a 2 year life cycle at the moment with the outsoles for the Nano. Look at the 1 and 2, the 3 and 4. Should see a new tooling next year.

I will say that 2 pairs of shoes in sequential order off the factory line will feel slightly different. This is very common. Think of 2 cars/trucks off the line right after the other. One could have a gasket go bad, or spring a leak somewhere before the other even if driven the exact same.

I worked in the athlete footwear industry for 5 years, this is where I am pulling this from btw. And no, I don't mean at Foot Locker or in a selling enviroment.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious when you hold a 3.0 and 4.0 next to each other. A kid at my box works at Dick's Sporting Goods as their Reebok rep, he told me they're on a two year cycle for the outsole and that's standard practice for lots of shoe manufacturers. The upper is probably more than aesthetics, its a different pattern or rubber and fabric, etc. But as to how it effects the performance of the shoe, I'm sure it's minimal.