CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Richie Glanzer

Profile:
After 7 months...I can do double-unders!

Just wanted to let out a Woo! here.

So I started on April 20 and couldn't do one jump rope. Then after a very frustrating WOD I asked some girls how to jump rope and when I left that day I could do 3. Soon I could do 100.

But I looked like an idiot when I tried to do a doubleunder. Finally last month I bring in a friend and one of the trainers is training him on how to jump rope. So I stay and watch and she tells me to do a double under. I was sorta happy when I was able to do 2-3 even though they were terrible. I had jumped really high and they looked anything but smooth.

So Tuesday came and I just felt like trying again. And low and behold, boom. I could do them. I could only do one or two at a time, but I was thrilled.

I f'd up my back and couldn't come back but today I went in strictly to see if I could still do it and all of a sudden, despite a bad back I was able to do 10 in a row before I stopped myself bc I shouldn't be doing them.

Anyways, its something I thought that I couldn't ever do...and I'm extremely pumped. Sorry for the "brag" post as they call this in poker, but woooo!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Sean McLeod

Profile:
Re: After 7 months...I can do double-unders!

good job. just gotta keep working at things one at a time. whats next muscle ups???
Old 12-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Richie Glanzer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McLeod View Post
good job. just gotta keep working at things one at a time. whats next muscle ups???
Hahaha...no, that's not even a goal yet. I'm 41, 5'9 and around 208 pounds. So I got a gut to lose. An unassisted pullup has to come first.

But thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
William Burton

Profile:

You're almost my exact size and a couple years younger.

Let's see who can do a muscle up first?
(I can't do any chinups yet either)
Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Richie Glanzer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Burton View Post
You're almost my exact size and a couple years younger.

Let's see who can do a muscle up first?
(I can't do any chinups yet either)
I'm hoping not to be your exact size for longer. I think we need to lose 30 pounds first. I'm eating a salad right now haha.

I can do 3 chinups. But I wish you luck my friend.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
Nicholas Ferrara

Profile:

I can jump rope fine before I am in the middle of a WOD, it is when I am so tired I can't even count is when I have issues. I get a break, since I can't get one done until I come down a little, filthy fifty was horrible, and I can't do a double under to save my life...
Old 12-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
Andre J Gordon-Ruddell

Profile:

Sweet, its one of the many things I'm working on now
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Nice work! I was a double-single-double-single guy for a long time. Could string together say 20 or so but having that single in there worked me big time during WOD's.

About a month ago I decided no more singles/doubles and just worked on the doubles as much as I could. One day I got 10 vs. the 2 or 3 I would normally get. Then after a workout I picked up the rope and got 35. Next day I got 50. A week later 60. About a week ago I got 88 at one shot. Crazy how it just "clicked". Moral of the story, keep pecking away at it and it will click.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Plomchok View Post
Nice work! I was a double-single-double-single guy for a long time. Could string together say 20 or so but having that single in there worked me big time during WOD's.

About a month ago I decided no more singles/doubles and just worked on the doubles as much as I could. One day I got 10 vs. the 2 or 3 I would normally get. Then after a workout I picked up the rope and got 35. Next day I got 50. A week later 60. About a week ago I got 88 at one shot. Crazy how it just "clicked". Moral of the story, keep pecking away at it and it will click.
Glenn, I was like you, single/double, for over a year, then I just said "F it" and made the move to only do/try doubles. I've gotten up to 40. Sometimes I can barely string 3 or 4, and sometimes I bang out 20 or 30. But I am getting better.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Eric,

I hear you. Some times when warming up, I'll trip up on #3 or #4 a couple times and think "WTF...where did my dbl unders go"? I usually put the rope down, walk away and come back and go again and it seems to help a ton. I have not been able to get a real long string together the past week but in a WOD that calls for say 20-30 of them, I can usually roll through them pretty good. It has helped a TON on my WOD's overall as the DU's don't gas me out so bad and I'm done in a fraction of the time it would take to do double/single. My worst memory of double singles was doing the Hero WOD Nutts. 200 dbl unders after 100 wall balls. I felt like I was there for an hour doing the damn dbl unders!