CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
David Sigmon

Profile:
Conversion to standing desk

I realize this isn't "crossfit equipment" but wanted this to be seen as it's quite important to me (an perhaps others). I have been dealing with extremely bad flexibility issues brough on much due in part to my past with heavy strength training and ZERO stretching. Couple that with a desk job and I've shortened every muscle possible which is now haunting me daily.

I would like to be reactive in this and convert my current office desk to a standing desk. My only issues at this time is ensuring it looks "professional" as my boss is very picky about how our offices look (ie. no books being stacked to place monitors on).

I currently have two monitors, a wireless keyboard, and a wireless mouse that I'd like to have elevated. Anyone have any suggestions (cost effective would be sweet) to achieve this? I've found this (http://www.lampsusa.com/TALL_homecon...ffee-bean.aspx) but I'm not sure how much space would remain after placing my dual monitors on it for my keyboard and mouse. I can do some building on my own but it would take much longer as I'd have to hookup with some friends etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
David Tran

Profile:
Re: Conversion to standing desk

What about something like this?
http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-St...2-dollars.html
Old 06-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Scott Kraatz

Profile:

No suggestions about a desk, I was lucky enough to have adjustable cabinets on the desk that I use for keyboard/mouse/monitor.

I wanted to wish you luck with finding a solution. I've been standing at my desk for over two years now (well, just during the work day ). I am very glad I did and don't think I'll ever sit down again.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tran View Post
This is perfect, I found it earlier. The only issue is that the slat for the keyboard and the braces to hold it can not be purchased online

The closest ikea to me is 2.5 hours away so I have to write that off for now. That would be a perfect set up though...blahhhhh.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kraatz View Post
No suggestions about a desk, I was lucky enough to have adjustable cabinets on the desk that I use for keyboard/mouse/monitor.

I wanted to wish you luck with finding a solution. I've been standing at my desk for over two years now (well, just during the work day ). I am very glad I did and don't think I'll ever sit down again.
Rub it in why dont ya

Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Scott McIntyre

Profile:

No suggestions, in my studio I have this massive desk with a ledge. One day about, two years ago I decided I didn't want to sit on my *** during the day, so I popped my monitors up on the ledge.

My knees and lower back always hurt when I sat for more than 2 hours....so I changed...and I NEVER EVER have problems anymore. I literally do not sit all day, unless I drive, or eat and sometimes I even stand while eating!
Old 06-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
David Tran

Profile:

You could also probably find similar items at target and home depot.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Rob Ray

Profile:

For what it's worth, I'd really like to see if someone has adopted this in a professional setting (not that those posted aren't).
Old 06-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sigmon View Post
This is perfect, I found it earlier. The only issue is that the slat for the keyboard and the braces to hold it can not be purchased online

The closest ikea to me is 2.5 hours away so I have to write that off for now. That would be a perfect set up though...blahhhhh.
I use a similar Ikea side table setup without the keyboard attachment. I use a laptop and its keyboard. Depending on your height it should be comfortable enough, I'm 5'9". The Lack side table is 17" high http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...413/#/40104270 it fits me well enough.

You need a right height side table, may have to build it yourself anyway.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 AM   #10
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ray View Post
For what it's worth, I'd really like to see if someone has adopted this in a professional setting (not that those posted aren't).
I work for the Navy (as a civilian, not a sailor) and I was the first and only person in my 200+ person department to use a stand-up desk. It's a ghetto rig and it's not perfect, but I took down one of the overhead cabinet things, unscrewed the hinge/door thing off of it, and it makes a darn near perfect height standing desk that holds my monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers/desk fan. So I got really lucky there. I'm trying to get them to spring for and get me an adjustable height one, because even though standing is far better, I do like to sit down sometimes (for a few minutes at a time). I caught a lot of hell for it at first, but everyone seems to have adapted, and I could care less that I was the one weird one.