CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Megan Greene

Profile:
My L-sit could last longer and my toes could be higher, but nevertheless I also want to work toward a one-arm L-sit/straddle-L (legs splitting the support arm).

See the starting position of this youtube video (work/family safe) as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoHnwFrocNY

I tried it and I think I'm missing both strength and balance/technique/form. Anyone have tips on the latter? What needs to go where for this to balance?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
As you can see on the video, you actually slightly pull your arm across your body to put it near your center of mass... just like you would put your elbow in your gut for a one arm elbow lever. From there, it's just getting a feel of balancing your legs and torso by moving your legs forward or backwards depending on how big your legs/hips/etc. are. Strength and compression in the hip flexors and abs are really needed here.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that you might want to spend some time on a pommel horse. Walking around the pommel on your hands is a great way to get strength and balance and helps your support strength as you shift the weight back and forth between the hands.

Another thing to work on is L-sit walks and pirouettes. In an L or straddle walk on your hands forward, backward, side to side and then work on pirouettes. You can do this on parallettes or on the floor.

Another thing I would try is to do a straddle sit with both hand together (one in front of the other) on a single parallette. I don't know what you call that. You can do it on a balance beam too or on the floor. I imagine that then it's a matter of just gradually taking the one hand up.

Looks like something fun. I guess I'll have to go and try it now.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
Ah, yeah.. tell a coach to teach you the level 6 I think routine mount on pommel horse from the loops to the travel into the middle. It utilizes a straddle support on one pommel where you shift your weight back in forth between both hands. You can potentially do this multiple times slowly to get down the balance on one hand.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
As previously mentioned do english straddle Ls. Really work to get your toes high. Your hip flexor compression is key. Weighted seated straddle leg lifts. Then work on getting it on a single arm. A one arm straddle L press handstand is a fantastic skill.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Megan Greene

Profile:
Thanks, everyone! Thinking of the arm position as similar to a one-arm elbow lever/crocodile helps the positioning make a lot more sense. I will have to try L-sit walking and english straddle Ls, too. I'm already on a mission to improve my hip flexor compression (I have the flexibility but need more strength).

A one-arm straddle L PRESS seems like a 5-year goal, at least (still working on my two-arm straddle L press), but I figure I can start on the one-arm L, anyway.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Working your one arm L is going to help your two arm press because it will increase hip flexor strength.