CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Colin Gorman

Profile:
My question is concerning my shoulders and full range of motion in pullups. So whats wrong with my shoulders, for starters i have loose ligiments and that hinders all my joints including my knees and hips, but more importantly i am missing the back part of my joint in the shoulders. Think of it as missing the back half of the cup that the shoulder resides in. Until I was 14 I thought is was perfectly normal to be able to dislocate your joints at will. However this talent is not very desierable when it comes to pullups cause everytime I go for full range of motion the weight of my body pulls my shoulders out of joint and it is impossible for me to continue, I have to regrip. Cross fit has helped with my pullups alot but i want to be better. Does anyone have any suggestions, should I start form square one and if so does anyone know the best way to approach this situation.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Megan Greene

Profile:
I have loose ligaments too (and resulting shoulder problems), so I have a little bit of knowledge here. Your rotator cuff muscles are the active stabilizers that keep the head of the humerus in the socket (the inactive stabilizers are the ligaments, which aren't doing their job here). In your case, the rotator cuff will have to work extra hard to make up for the ligament looseness AND the incomplete shoulder socket, so I would guess you should focus on RC conditioning. In the meantime, do assisted pullups with as much assistance as you need to keep your shoulders in joint. Whether your rotator cuff can get to be strong enough to hold your shoulder in place while supporting your bodyweight, I don't know.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
Colin Gorman

Profile:
Thanks Meaghan

Anything that will help improve my pullups i'm game for
Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Colin Gorman

Profile:
Sorry MEGAN I just realized I spelled your name the Irish way