CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Dylan Tate

Profile:
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to cross fit and completed my first WOD yesterday. I did the deadlift, hang clean, front squat, push jerk (from Sunday iirc). I scaled it down to the puppy level and finished in 42 minutes. I think I could have been faster, but I was switching out with my wife and some of my rests were longer than they probably should have been. This leads me to my question, which is more important, being able to do the WOD with the weight rx'd or being able to go through as fast as possible? I'm pretty sure I could have done it with the 95# but it may have taken an hour +.

overall I felt great afterwards, no terrible soreness today, but I'm fearful of what tommorrow morning will bring.

Thanks
Dylan
Old 06-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
there was this exact question a few days ago. check out this thread

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/42513.html
Old 06-21-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Dylan Tate

Profile:
Hi Connie,

Thanks for the link, i read the other thread and it seems to be more about pacing. I'm more interested in the trade off between speed and weight used. Asuming i could complete the workout with both 45# and 95# where's the point where the higher weight takes so much extra time that its better to step down and move faster?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Dylan:

If you are able to do the WOD with the "as Rx'd" weight in a time that roughly approximates the average time you see on the comments then the prevailing thought throughout CF is that you should do it "as Rx'd" and work to decrease your time.

If, on the other hand you are more like me, and "as Rx'd" weight is either unsafe or will produce a time approaching 40 minutes on a WOD that is taking other folks <20, then IMO you must decide going into the WOD what it is that you wish to get out of that work-out on that particular day. Muscle strength and endurance--"As Rx'd". More met-con, need a lower weight so that you can go faster with fewer breaks. There are a number of threads on the boards about methods to scale.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Connie Morreale

Profile:
dylan,

my bad. i didn't read thru the thread and thought i was sending you this one. tell me if this one is addresses your ? better. if not, i'll quit being lazy and give my 2 cents.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/42651.html
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
Dylan Tate

Profile:
Darrel - Thanks very much.

Connie - yep, that's much better. But if you still want to chip in with your opinion, that would be much appreciated.

the other thread mentioned the idea of scaling based on CFT, i might look at that as well.