CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
When I drive past a building with scaffolding on it I can't help but think how much fun Jesse Woody would have jumping around on it. When I see a pile of rocks I look for one I can bring home to lift. Horizontal bars all beg for pullups and any elevated surface screams to be jumped on top of. The world is full of CrossFit opportunities and the environment is laden with CF tools. How do you see the world around you and the world of exercise differently now that you have become a CrossFitter?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Wow, that’s a good question. I too have a tainted post-Crossfit view of the world now. Ha, and I thought it was just me. Every time I see a picnic table now I really want to do some box jump-like stuff off of it or do some push-ups with my feet up on the table top. While on vacation a few months ago at Parris Island S.C.(attending my neice’s Marine Corps graduation ceremony) there was a big plotted plant that had a huge concrete block base around it that was about 30 inches high outside of my hotel room in the parking lot. Guess what....I started doing box jumps off of them until my wife and daughters started yelling at me. It was fun. I snuck in about 5 good jumps.:banana:
Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Becca Borawski

Profile:
The world is a playground.
"Can't" has been done away with and replaced with opportunities.

(Message edited by Ring_Girl on October 17, 2006)
Old 10-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Like I tell people....You want to be able to go to a gym and pay absolutely nothing and get the best workout??....and when they say Yes...I tell them to just get off the couch and go outside....

You either see nature as a gym....or you dont...CF makes you see the gym.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Mike Neill

Profile:
When I am at the shooting range and make an errant shot, I jog down to the target and deflect the bullet before it lowers my score.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Chris Jordan

Profile:
I see things differently now. I certainly do climb on and hang from stuff more now than ever, but there's more. I spend a lot of time looking for better ways to build my equipment. I wonder at the "fitness" crap available at stores. I have to stop myself from correcting others' form when they pick up boxes from the floor.

Also, I'm a bit of an oddball now (well, more than before). I can't go to work and tell my co-workers that I'm disappointed because I only did 23 rounds of Cindy. It has no meaning for them. My parents often come by the garage mid-workout. They see me cranking out endless pull-ups only to hop off the bar and deadlift or squat while Julie counts reps and yells "Time!" at which point I fall to the floor only to get up in a few minutes and admire my beautiful sweat angel.

Finally, where before I never noticed, I am surrounded by a sea of people who either have no idea how to lose that spare tire or simply don't have the inclination. I guess it's too easy to cook cheesy mac for dinner and watch Lost.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:
"I jog down to the target and deflect the bullet before it lowers my score."

Wow Mike, that's awesome! What's Crossfit WOD gives you superspeed?:lol:
Old 10-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
Andrew Thompson

Profile:
Home Depot is now my favorite new fitness supply store - material for sandbags, ropes for pulling tires, and I am sure I will think of much more!

Also, it is kind of like being a kid again. You are always looking for opportunities to climb things, jump up on things, etc...

It is funny that Eugene mentioned looking for rocks to lift. Right before I read this I had come back from Trader Joe's. As I parked my truck in my driveway I noticed a good size rock in the front yard that I had not noticed before. So of course I went over, picked it up, and started checking it out for lifting. My neighbor walked out at about that time and gave me "that look" we all get sometimes from people that just don't understand.

My same neighbor has asked me what the rings hanging from my tree in the front yard were for. When I told them, they just responded with "Oh, O.K."
Old 10-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
John Velandra

Profile:
I used to be soley fixed into going into a big box and doing a bb or pl workout as that is what my sport was. If I HAD to do something outdoors, I was either doing pt with the Army, running or cycling. Or camping and going on deployment...

But to workout as in get in my exercise?!!!!:g: Come on Eugene, ya know you can't get a "real" workout outdoors. It's just that silly bodyweight stuff that is better than nothing for most people, but not a true "fitness" person.

POST CF - where can I hang rings or pullup bars, do sprints, box jump and get a real workout in? Globo gym? Thanks, but not needed... LOL
Old 10-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
Joe Marsh

Profile:
I look for fitness trails at every public park. I try to identify locations to hang rings from. I also look at realty in shopping plazas and industrial parks and wonder what the rent is per square foot, how high are the ceilings, would current tenants complain about weights being dropped?