CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
Amy Burrows

Profile:
All, I have been working for a long time to try to do pullups. I've been working with the bands from IronWoody Fitness with my trainer at CF Cape Fear. I also do Army PT 5 days a week, with some assisted pullups a couple of times a week. I've searched the boards (read the Grease the Groove articles, etc), but I'm still struggling. I don't know if I'm overdoing it, not being routined enough. I started lifting heavy for my back (I find I try to "arm" my pull ups instead of engaging my back). I'm looking for any tips you may have. I have about 2 months before Airborne school to get this comfortably squared away. Please advise.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Adam Morden

Profile:
Hi Amy,

You have probably already tried this, but in case you haven't: I've always found the best way for me to really increase the # of pullups, or get clients to perform their first unassisted pullup is through negatives. Jump, kip, use bands, get lifted, whatever to get to the up position then hold that position on your own and lower as slowly as possible. Always focus on pulling through your back and try to work up to a lot of volume say 7-10 sets of as many negatives as you can do before you lose form and start 'arm-ing' them.

Hope this helps,

Adam
Old 11-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Exercises
Old 11-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
I just did pull-ups and more pull-ups. When I first went into the Marine Corps back in 1990, I was a runner and not tremendously strong. I could not do many pull-ups but the Marine Corps obviously gave me the opportunity to overcome that weakness. Just pull and pull regularly. I also know that kipping will help you get some reps and try to do them unassisted. Everybody is different. I hope this helps. God Bless you brother, take care, and do us all proud when you kill it in airborne school. Be safe and KICK A$#!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Body rows might help.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:29 AM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I find variety is the key: body rows, hanging for time, negatives, jumpstretch, gravitron, jumping pullups, swinging for time, GTG, knees to elbows, skin the cats, high reps, low reps and, most important of all, just keep trying to gut it out. Get on the bar everyday and try some variation of pullups or just get some hang time.

Amy don't underestimate the power of videos. Watch all the videos with pullups and tape yourself and watch what you're doing. Maybe you're not pulling at the right angle.

(Message edited by musashi on November 10, 2006)
Old 11-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #7
Megan Greene

Profile:
I worked up to my first pull-up by doing a lot of jumping pull-ups, negatives, and rows. It sounds like you're doing most of your work with assistance. Try hauling your full bodyweight around and see if that helps.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I think the negatives are a great idea. And you really have to keep at it. Are you doing these EVERY day? If I slack off for a few weeks, my pullups drop from like 10 to 2.

I did airborne school in 1982 and I don't remember that many pullups. Of course, I don't remember very much at all (except that you dont' want to be the first person in your stick). Enjoy! Just remember that it's 98% mental and 2% physical. I'm sure CF is a great preparation.