CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #11
Paul Symes

Profile:
Kevin,
Sorry I've only just seen your post. I've had the problem for nearly 3 years and the best information about it is at kalindra.com

An osteopath who does ART would be the best person to help you.

The psoas is the main hip flexor and will pull the front of the pelvis up at the front not down. There are other hip flexors that if tight will pull the pelvis down at the front (such a the TFL or Iliacus like mentioned in your yoga link) but if the pelvis is where it should be the psoas shouldn't feel tight. I have found that stretching just makes it worse, if the pelvis is where it's supposed to be the pain stops and the muscles calm down.

All links W&F safe

exercises to correct - www.kalindra.com/rounds.pdf

faqs www.kalindra.com/faq.htm

forum - http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=SIJD&nav=start&prettyurl=%2FSIJ D%2Fstart

The double and single leg raises in the TNation link are the exact best way to make the pelvis tilt forward (a problem) if your abbs weren't strong enough to hold it up at the front and down at the back

(Message edited by symzie on December 17, 2006)
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
Paul Findley

Profile:
Awesome links thanks. I believe that I suffer from this or something related.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:52 AM   #13
John Richmond

Profile:
Paul
Thanks for the link to kalindra.com I have
had the same pain for about 2 years now from
squating too heavy and letting my form go.
Nothing I have done stretching or exercises has
helped yet these corrections seem to be right on
the money, less pain after only a few days!
Old 12-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #14
Paul Symes

Profile:
That's great John. I'm very rarely in pain now and when I am I know how to get myself straightened out.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #15
Megan Greene

Profile:
Doing some research today I came across the condition "snapping hip," also called "coxa saltans," which seems to be what we're all describing (there are a few variations of it). here's the writeup on sportsinjurybulletin:
http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...cking-hip.html

More info from med.umich.edu here:
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_snapping_sma.htm
and in-depth info from emedicine.com here:
http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic123.htm
Old 01-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #16
Paul Symes

Profile:
That's interesting Megan. The symptoms described below are what happens to me when my left hip is rotated forward. I mentioned this to an osteopath who said that it was probably a tight IT band slipping over the trochanter. I mashed the IT band over a few days with a foam roller and did some stretching and thought he'd got the problem. I was then doing the muscle energy corrections (in my link above) and I felt my left hip clunk back into place and the clicking hip stopped. Now, it's one of the ways I can tell if my pelvis is straight or not, if the IT Band slips over the trochanter it needs correcting. So I my case, the IT band slipping over the trochanter is a symptom of the problem rather than the problem itself (the problem is a twisted pelvis).

The usual pathology is a thickened band of the iliotibial tract or gluteus maximus tendon slipping over the greater trochanter (3,6,7,26). In the swing phase of walking or on hip flexion, the band moves anteriorly; then in the stance phase, as the gluteus maximus contracts, it is pulled posteriorly and snaps back across the greater trochanter
Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #17
Aaron Gainer

Profile:
Re: Hip Clunking

Anyone experience this when they do weighted squats? Mine doesn't hurt, more just annoying. Massaging entire leg region, paying close attention to the tfl/it band, hip flexor, and piriformis.