CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-29-2006, 01:16 AM   #1
Kevin Richards

Profile:
When doing hanging leg raises and lowering my legs down I get a clunking of my left hip towards the front.
If I do lying leg raises again there is a clunking of my left hip only more severe.
Similarly at the end of an axe type kick although not as severe.
There is no pain associated with this.
Any ideas as to what may causing this and how to solve it?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:18 AM   #2
Cassie Kottke

Profile:
Kevin,

Could be a tight hip flexor... its worth a shot to try stretching flexors before you do the exercises just to see if you see any improvement.

Cassie
Old 11-29-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I hve this also...but only when I lift both legs. After you do what Cassie says, try lifting only one leg at a time.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:36 AM   #4
Kevin Richards

Profile:
Thanks.

It's on the left side only where I also get back muscle stiffness SI Joint area aches and pains.

It all seems to stem from an injury while sparring in Tae-Kwondo a few years back while although there may be other factors involved.

Tried stretching the hip flexor ,not much effect but will do it for a while to try and loosen up. Tensing all the surrounding muscles seems to reduce it.

Somethings not quite right in my glute, lower back , hip flexor area so I need to get everything working in unison again.

Aiming now to work on abs , glutes and lower back while stretching hip flexors and hamstrings and hopefully not compounfd the problem.

Any further tips appreciated.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:27 AM   #5
Cassie Kottke

Profile:
Kevin,

Other muscles that you could work on around the area are the piriformis and IT band. For the Piriformis, lie on your back and cross one leg across the other (like a guy crosses his legs while sitting, this is the hip you are stretching), push the knee away from you of the crossed leg... if you need more stretch pull the opposote leg into your chest while keeping the other leg crossed. Let me know if you need a good IT band stretch as well.

Cassie
Old 11-30-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I don't know if it's directly relevant but I have two hip implants and will sometimes get a feeling of like a rubber band passing over something and then releasing. My surgeon said that it's probably the psoas rubbing along the bone.

I would say that if you don't get tendonitis from it and there is no pain, you shouldn't worry about it. Stretching may help. In my case, it's gradually getting better with stretching.

I also got real clunking when my hip capsule was healing because the muscles around the hip were not holding the hip ball firmly in position. Is it possible that you are hyperflexible and need to strengthen/tighten the muscles around the capsule?

Just some thoughts....
Old 11-30-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Yeah I got the same thing my pt says it is a tendon and nothing to worry about unless it hurts.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:13 AM   #8
Paul Symes

Profile:
Kevin,

If you're pelvis has rotated forward it would cause this. This is very common and would cause the SI joint pain. Don't stretch the hip flexors as this will make it worse. If your pelvis has rotated forward your psoas will be tight because the bones it attaches to aren't where they're supposed to be, stretching isn't the answer. Leg raises are exactly the thing that would pull the pelvis forward. Do you have an Osteopath near you?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 AM   #9
Megan Greene

Profile:
I have the same problem -- never knew anybody else with it before! For me, it gets worse the more ab work I do, and it bothers me most if I'm lying on my back doing bicycles with my legs (or similar), just as a leg approaches straight. No idea what it is, although "the psoas rubbing along the bone" seems plausible. It gets quite bothersome for me and I'd love to hear a solution.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:20 AM   #10
Kevin Richards

Profile:
Paul , could you give any further info.

Seems as though my pelvis is tilting forward.

Feedback I've found elsewhere (see references below)suggests that working the lower abs (via leg raises and similar) and hip area and stretching the hip flexors may help, and I do have a job where I sit down all day which does not help posture.
My understanding now is that tight hip flexors will pull the pelvis forward and down.

Work/family friendly
Yoga article on stretching hip flexors
www.yogajournal.com/practice/588.cfm
Core training article from T-Nation
www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=990092

Regards
Kevin