CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Andrew Hendel

Profile:  
I am a PE teacher/crossfit trainer/football coach and I use the crossfit pilosophy as my curriculum. Here's my topic for discussion. I am always trying to convince my students that by doing kipping pull ups, HSPU, overhead squats, and any other compliment lift to the bench, will actually improve your bench. I swear my bench has never felt better even though I may bench 2x per month. Your testimonials will go on my message board for viewing. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Beau Bryant

Profile:
before CF:
180bwt
205 bench, worked bench at least once a week on the standard BB routine.
After CFing 6 months (not only WODS but also working gymnastic type skills)
192bwt
255 bench

I only bench maybe 2x a month a 5x5 max effort with DBs.
convincing some highschool kids this will work maybe more difficult. Good luck
Old 01-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Well. I don't know how much mine will help because I don't remember what my bench was before I started crossfit, but i've been doing Crossfit for about 6 months and I think i've benched twice in that time. Once because the WOD had it and the other to see what my bench was. I weigh 165 and my bench is 255. I can also do sets in the 20s with 135. These aren't huge numbers, but I'm fairly happy. The only lifts I do for chest are whatever the WOD says and on days when I want to work on strength I'll do weighted dips or weighted push ups, i'm sure those help.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Herb Sampson

Profile:
I’ve only BP’ed a few time after starting CF in April of 2006 (the occasional Lynne and Linda)…I did all of the push-ups that were prescribed. I added 25 lbs to my 1RM with only BP’ing 5-6 time from April – December 2006. That and focusing on pull-ups and overhead work (presses and squats), I’m not only stronger, but my posture has also improved.

Tell them that a 400+ BP’er says it’s overrated.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Andrew,

I used to compete at bench press contests (450lbs 1RM @ 320 lbs BW) but have since slimmed down, so my bench is not what it used to be. However, at my greatest strength I had problems with shoulder soreness and a pec injury (pulled muscle) that took forever to heal. About 2 years ago I stopped using the bench press as a major exercise and instead went to dips and pushups. I bench press once a month, at the most. Since I've moved away from the bench press my shoulders and chest have never felt better. Yet, I can still BP 275 lbs for sets of eight with no liftoff assistance. More so my upper body is more complete- back, chest, shoulders, etc.

Probably the best thing I can say is that chest muscles are not the key to a big bench press. If they were than I could isolate them on a pec dec or with flyes and see my bench really increase. It's the strengthening of the lats, shoulders, and triceps that will increase your BP.

Lastly, Jim Schmitz wrote an article in the June 2004 issue of Milo about Mario Martinez (Mario Martinez: a Weighlifter's Weighlifter, page 103). Jim states that Mario, after only four weeks of training, was able to do a 500 lbs. touch and go bench press. This coming from someone who only focused on the Olympic lifts.

Dan
Old 01-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
James Falkner

Profile:
My bench went from 165 to 235 without doing a single bench press. I just did CF WOD's for about 6 months, and didn't do a single bench press. I was quite shocked to say the least.

I believe ring dips, puahupa and HSPUs are mostly to "blame".
Old 01-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Andy Shirley

Profile:
James,
I am unfamiliar with these "puahupa"

Although I think they are called "preaa upa" overseas.

Personally I have moved away from the bench press to focus more on the Press. I've also damaged my shoulders from too much benching(a/c joint arthritis, s/p labral repair, bankhart, mumford). And too much rugby(multiple dislocations--hence the torn labrum and bankhart). PR 430 raw, presurgery. Current 345, with minimal bench work.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
James Falkner

Profile:
Heh, a puahupa originated in the Pacific rim islands and has been used for thousands of years to improve one's ability to bench press. Little known fact, when the British and French arrived in the South Pacific, they were amazed to find several natives doing puahupa's. The brits correctly realized the threat to the empire by puahupa's, and immediately introduced the natives to the "Big Guns" series of DVDs. Needless to say, the threat was neutralized.

:haha:
Old 01-13-2007, 11:25 PM   #9
Tim McFarland

Profile:
OK, now I'm intrigued. What the heck is a puahupa? I googled it and only got two hits, neither of which helped at all...
Old 01-14-2007, 01:37 AM   #10
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Tim,
I assume James accidently hit the "a" key instead of the "s" key when typing pushups.

Oddly enough, I just googled it. The second instance is the exact same error, plus a whole lot more:
"I'm up to running 1.5 miles in 12 minutes - workinf on rhw pullupa. I rhink rhw puahupa ahouls bw ok."